Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brown ring around S. minor pitchers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Brown ring around S. minor pitchers

Hi all,

I've got a Sarr issue that I've not had before. My S. minor keeps putting out nice pitchers and then they develop a brown ring near the base. The brown ring expands upwards until the whole pitcher is brown. What does this indicate? I kind of thought maybe there was some sort of insect eating it from the inside out, but this issue is unique to only the S. minor and if it was some sort of pest, I wasn't really expecting it to happen again. I swear I've heard of this happening before, but I can't remember any solutions or causes. Pics below:

Disregard the little spider stealing a meal..

The pitcher on the left is the result of the brown ring completely enveloping the pitcher.

Any sarr doctors out there that can give me some insight on this?
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are growing conditions?
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have them growing outside in full-sun. It's been averaging 80 degrees over the past couple days but the humidity varies pretty wildly. It's usually at least 50% though. They get full sun from sunrise until about 3-4 PM I believe. They appear to be eating well.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many pitchers has this happened to, and how fast does it usually happen?
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does it only happen to old pitchers that are open? The first thing that came to mind was that the plant caught something too big to digest, making the pitcher rot from the inside out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far it's happened to two pitchers. It probably starts to rot within a week of the pitcher fully opening and it takes maybe 2-3 weeks for the whole pitcher to croak.

I've only had this plant for a few of months, when I received it in the mail, it had no open pitchers. The one that is completely rotted was the first big new pitcher to open.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is probably 'indigestion' caused by eating too many insects in a short period. It is very common in my Sarrs, and it doesn't hurt the plant at all, other than killing the leaf.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    This is probably 'indigestion' caused by eating too many insects in a short period. It is very common in my Sarrs, and it doesn't hurt the plant at all, other than killing the leaf.
    It's weird that it's only happening to the S. minor and not the leuco or flava, they've all been eating like pigs since it got warm. The pitchers are nearly full! Still, it's nice to know that it won't kill the plant. S. minor is one of my favorites, and I want it to be large and robust.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast