Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cephalotus seed photos

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cephalotus seed photos

Here are a few shoots of ceph seeds. They are very hairy and the slightest gust of air will send them soaring. I can't tell you how many I have lost. They are also water resistant. They tend to float away from the spot you plant them!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So each flower only has 6 seeds?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup. I haven't seen more than six in a flower.

In the first photo to the right are false seeds that I keep finding. They grow along the flower stalk. Not in the flowers. Not sure what their purpose is...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow that's interesting! Some sort of lure for seed eaters? Giving the real seed time to mature and take flight?

My cephs have 1/2" pitchers so I won't be seeing any blooms for a while.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Ben clipping my flower stalks because most of the flowers looks like duds. I realized that a few may be interested in a few more photos on how to tell the difference

Here's a photo of a flower with green seed. The flower will open in a day or so and will look like the open flower to the right with brown seed waiting to be collected.

Her is a photo of a dud flower that wasn't pollenated. They just stay brown and small showing no sign of seed inside.

I have also noticed that the second crop of seed has been a lot darker than the first harvest. Not sure of the relevance.

I also completed another test that was interesting. I sold one of the mother plants and cut the stalk for shipping. Instead of discarding the stalk I placed it in water. It has been producing seed as if still attached to the plant.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting information.

Since so much Ceph cultivation can (not a preferred method in my opinion) take place on the water line I have to wonder if you could water sprout Ceph seeds, you can grow them without any medium (free floating), root them from leaf pulls (free floating). I just have to wonder if the seeds float would they sprout floating also...