What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus seed photos

Jcal

Decumbent Fanatic
Here are a few shoots of ceph seeds. They are very hairy and the slightest gust of air will send them soaring. I can't tell you how many I have lost. They are also water resistant. They tend to float away from the spot you plant them!

Last edited:
So each flower only has 6 seeds?

Yup. I haven't seen more than six in a flower.

In the first photo to the right are false seeds that I keep finding. They grow along the flower stalk. Not in the flowers. Not sure what their purpose is...

Wow that's interesting! Some sort of lure for seed eaters? Giving the real seed time to mature and take flight?

My cephs have 1/2" pitchers so I won't be seeing any blooms for a while.

I have Ben clipping my flower stalks because most of the flowers looks like duds. I realized that a few may be interested in a few more photos on how to tell the difference

Here's a photo of a flower with green seed. The flower will open in a day or so and will look like the open flower to the right with brown seed waiting to be collected.

Her is a photo of a dud flower that wasn't pollenated. They just stay brown and small showing no sign of seed inside.

I have also noticed that the second crop of seed has been a lot darker than the first harvest. Not sure of the relevance.

I also completed another test that was interesting. I sold one of the mother plants and cut the stalk for shipping. Instead of discarding the stalk I placed it in water. It has been producing seed as if still attached to the plant.:-O

Interesting information.

Since so much Ceph cultivation can (not a preferred method in my opinion) take place on the water line I have to wonder if you could water sprout Ceph seeds, you can grow them without any medium (free floating), root them from leaf pulls (free floating). I just have to wonder if the seeds float would they sprout floating also...

Back