Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Darlingtonia Camping Trip

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great posting, Mato! It certainly makes me wish I had been there! This one definitely belongs of in the list of links in the CP Photofinder.

After a close look at the photo I have to say those long-lamina sundews look like D. capensis to me.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does not D. linearis look similar to capensis and is a true Northamerica species. I d rather like to think this species were introduced or has a greater distribution than known, than D capensis which is not hardy is introduced. There where no flowering plants, would make it easy?
    Stunning sites I would like to see once.
    Greetings Axel
    Last edited by axel; 11-16-2014 at 11:00 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    ......................, than D capensis which is not hardy .....................
    Now I distinctly remember my greenhouses going down to -18C (0F) a few years ago and I still had a lot of D. capensis in the spring.
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was an exceptional cold spell which lasted how long? They stand short cold spells quite good. But a long winter kills them here. Only seedlings remain some time.
    They should be flowering by this time. if they were to stay longer?
    But is not a far distributed species in North America, not even as much possible as this capensis? I would still like to see the flowers to be sure.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a very long cold winter here in the UK. Many growers lost Sarracenia. The serious cold started in November and dragged on well into spring.
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Does not D. linearis look similar to capensis and is a true Northamerica species. I d rather like to think this species were introduced or has a greater distribution than known, than D capensis which is not hardy is introduced. There where no flowering plants, would make it easy?
    Stunning sites I would like to see once.
    Greetings Axel
    These plants have been confirmed as feral D.capensis. There have been several accounts of this species existent in this population and several other locations in California. I have been since given some leaf cuttings from this very location and they are 100% Drosera capensis. The 2 species are only superficially similar and really can not be mistaken to the trained eye.

I put Drosera capensis into my bogs every summer and occasionally 1 or 2 will come back from the roots after a New England winter. They can tolerate quite a bit of cold sometimes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123