What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia Camping Trip

mato

BANNED
In June, my friend Scott (Jawn) and I went camping in Southern Oregon to explore the "mountain" populations of Darlingtonia. These photos are posted in reverse chronological order, starting towards the Kalmiopsis Wilderness where we went before we left, Northern California, and then back up to a site just south of O'Brien, OR (which is the first site we went to). It was a pretty enlightening experience overall, and something I recommend to anyone who happens to be around this area.

All photos were taken by Scott and used with his permission ;)

Last edited:

Great shots Mat ! Love the maroon red Darlingtonia and that banana slug ! Too bad all those damned D.capensis snuck their way into that site ! I'd like to think it was an accidental introduction......

They are so pretty. Cant wait for mine to get huge. And thats a lot of pics! Thanks for sharing!

Great shots Mat ! Love the maroon red Darlingtonia and that banana slug ! Too bad all those damned D.capensis snuck their way into that site ! I'd like to think it was an accidental introduction......

I wouldn't label them as D. capensis just yet, the D. anglica of that region can have some rather lengthy leaves. And the petioles were a little thin for most capes, not to mention missing bracts at the leaf bases....

Last edited:
They are Drosera capensis. I have been there and seen them. Also Drosera anglica is not found at that low of an elevation that far south.

Last edited:
I wouldn't label them as D. capensis just yet, the D. anglica of that region can have some rather lengthy leaves. And the petioles were a little thin for most capes, not to mention missing bracts at the leaf bases....

Those plants are DEFINITELY Drosera capensis.

Hard to tell exactly what form they are. They appear to be growing in pretty deep shade which may be making them etiolated and spindly looking. D.capensis none the less though.

Great posting, Mato! It certainly makes me wish I had been there! This one definitely belongs of in the list of links in the CP Photofinder.

After a close look at the photo I have to say those long-lamina sundews look like D. capensis to me.

Does not D. linearis look similar to capensis and is a true Northamerica species. I d rather like to think this species were introduced or has a greater distribution than known, than D capensis which is not hardy is introduced. There where no flowering plants, would make it easy?
Stunning sites I would like to see once.
Greetings Axel

Last edited:
......................, than D capensis which is not hardy .....................

Now I distinctly remember my greenhouses going down to -18C (0F) a few years ago and I still had a lot of D. capensis in the spring.

That was an exceptional cold spell which lasted how long? They stand short cold spells quite good. But a long winter kills them here. Only seedlings remain some time.
They should be flowering by this time. if they were to stay longer?
But is not a far distributed species in North America, not even as much possible as this capensis? I would still like to see the flowers to be sure.

Back