What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus clones

Ess your absolutely right will I was making this I realized that really quick and found a artical from icps about the controversy and how location data clones should be the way ppl label them but even finding named clones are hard to find let let alone location data then finding a trust worthy source that don't want a million bucks lol impassable lol

I fixed the list everyone should I make a location data list in this thread as well or start a new thread

I fixed the list everyone should I make a location data list in this thread as well or start a new thread

Single quoted for cultivars, double-quotes for named clones. You appear to have them the other way around.

Last edited:
I haven't grown hundreds of plants but have seen them in the wild. Honestly, my personal take on collecting Cephalotus forms is the same as for N. rafflesiana and N. ampullaria forms...there's no end to it. The variety is too great and the unique features of Cephalotus is dependent on external factors.

In my conditions (hot and humid day and night), red becomes green and giant becomes miniature. At its worst, alive becomes dead. LOL

Last edited:
The variety is too great and the unique features of Cephalotus is dependent on external factors.

All too often, people pay great deals of money for certain features only to find out their growing conditions will shift those desired results.
Once I was the same. Bought clones because they were a look I was after. Soon after arriving they all end up looking similar to others in your growing space. With a few exceptions.... There are a few clones that hold true.

All too often, people pay great deals of money for certain features only to find out their growing conditions will shift those desired results.
Once I was the same. Bought clones because they were a look I was after. Soon after arriving they all end up looking similar to others in your growing space. With a few exceptions.... There are a few clones that hold true.

+1
One of the so-called "giant" clones I acquired a couple years ago (not the usual suspects; something else from a private collection) is one of the smallest-pitchered varieties I grow. Cultivation technique and conditions plays a huge role in your results.

paul i would still expect the plant to have larger pitchers than a typical clone grown in the same conditions.

paul i would still expect the plant to have larger pitchers than a typical clone grown in the same conditions.

If the conditions aren't ideal, there is no reason to assume that. The plant would only have the potential to have bigger pitchers, if conditions however aren't the best, whatever mutation causes bigger pitchers might not even be activated.

If the conditions aren't ideal, there is no reason to assume that. The plant would only have the potential to have bigger pitchers, if conditions however aren't the best, whatever mutation causes bigger pitchers might not even be activated.

The conditions provided for my Cephalotus plants are as close to "ideal" as anyone could hope to achieve. This particular plant may need many years to start exhibiting this particular trait (large size) or it simply responds to full, direct sunlight by making a much more compact plant with smaller pitchers - a known response by some clones in high light conditions. Its far too simplistic a stance to assume the behavior of the plant is the result of less-than-optimal growing conditions, given that in my case, thats not the issue.

so why would it grow smaller ones:-D

so why would it grow smaller ones:-D

Quirk of genes, perhaps what allows it to grow large pitchers in ideal conditions makes it flexible in the other direction in less than ideal conditions (makes the plant more nit picky)

The conditions provided for my Cephalotus plants are as close to "ideal" as anyone could hope to achieve. This particular plant may need many years to start exhibiting this particular trait (large size) or it simply responds to full, direct sunlight by making a much more compact plant with smaller pitchers - a known response by some clones in high light conditions. Its far too simplistic a stance to assume the behavior of the plant is the result of less-than-optimal growing conditions, given that in my case, thats not the issue.

Ideal for growing big pitchers is what I meant, but personally I would rather not write an essay and post it about all the possible factors that could influence pitcher size.

Quirk of genes, perhaps what allows it to grow large pitchers in ideal conditions makes it flexible in the other direction in less than ideal conditions (makes the plant more nit picky)
could be i dunno,but i would of thought that cephalotus be it typical or giant would like the same conditions to get optimum pitcher size for that particular clone,i would find it unlikely that a typical plant would grow larger pitchers when grown in identical conditions than a giant clone

could be i dunno,but i would of thought that cephalotus be it typical or giant would like the same conditions to get optimum pitcher size for that particular clone,i would find it unlikely that a typical plant would grow larger pitchers when grown in identical conditions than a giant clone

Plants be weird sometimes ???

Optimum conditions for a Hummer's Giant and a Czech Giant may very well be DIFFERENT conditions. A factor a lot of grower overlook, the clones that grow the best/largest for me are not the same clones that grow best for others. I have much older and similar sized Hummer's Giants and they are no where near my best looking or largest plants, I would not call my HG a giant clone if I was to pick a giant clone from my collection. I can grow up an Emu Point or Big Boy so much faster than any other clone, others I'm in contact with are not experiencing the same results but we all grow with variations in our conditions.

The term typical is simply referring to any non named clone and with all the seed grow Cephs now available providing optimum conditions becomes more and more of a gray area. Keep in mind EVERY named clone started out as a typical someone decided to name. As for the cultivars, IF controls are being conducted correctly (I personally believe they are not) then all you need to do is match the original growers conditions and you get the proper plant, IF controls are not being conducted correctly a cultivar is just a named clone they registered. :nono:

As for the cultivars, IF controls are being conducted correctly (I personally believe they are not) then all you need to do is match the original growers conditions and you get the proper plant, IF controls are not being conducted correctly a cultivar is just a named clone they registered. :nono:

What controls? There are no controls to apply incorrectly.
Someone publishes a description in a hard copy publication, this is occasionally done accidentally.
The only thing registered is the name to check that it is not already in use and once registered cannot be used again.
Nothing else is guaranteed.

What controls? There are no controls to apply incorrectly.
Someone publishes a description in a hard copy publication, this is occasionally done accidentally.
The only thing registered is the name to check that it is not already in use and once registered cannot be used again.
Nothing else is guaranteed.

My mistake it is only recommended...from here http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq3960.html

From the link.

3. Is the plant deserving?
Is the plant truly superior, and do specimens maintain these superior attributes year after year? Does the plant retain the superior attributes when cultivated by different growers? If so, the attributes are likely stable; if not, they may be due to your particular conditions. (It would be foolish to describe a cultivar for an average plant which is just being grown well.)

4. Are you qualified?
Let me be blunt. While on one hand I am pleased that anyone can register cultivar names, I think that enthusiastic beginning horticulturists should avoid registering plants until they have a bit of experience. When I began growing carnivorous plants, I simply did not have the experience to recognize what was a beautiful plant, and the real rarity that should be given a cultivar name. I think you should consider registering a plant as a cultivar only after you have grown that plant and numerous others in the same genus for five years, minimum! I named my first cultivar after growing carnivorous plants for 13 years.

Bigger pitcher is easily obtained in terrariums with high humidity and low light. which I would consider a less than ideal environment.

Back