Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus clones

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't grown hundreds of plants but have seen them in the wild. Honestly, my personal take on collecting Cephalotus forms is the same as for N. rafflesiana and N. ampullaria forms...there's no end to it. The variety is too great and the unique features of Cephalotus is dependent on external factors.

In my conditions (hot and humid day and night), red becomes green and giant becomes miniature. At its worst, alive becomes dead. LOL
    Last edited by Cindy; 08-23-2014 at 05:25 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    Anyone want to take a guess at what cultivar or clone is in my avatar?
    Big Boy

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
    The variety is too great and the unique features of Cephalotus is dependent on external factors.
    All too often, people pay great deals of money for certain features only to find out their growing conditions will shift those desired results.
    Once I was the same. Bought clones because they were a look I was after. Soon after arriving they all end up looking similar to others in your growing space. With a few exceptions.... There are a few clones that hold true.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcal View Post
    All too often, people pay great deals of money for certain features only to find out their growing conditions will shift those desired results.
    Once I was the same. Bought clones because they were a look I was after. Soon after arriving they all end up looking similar to others in your growing space. With a few exceptions.... There are a few clones that hold true.
    +1
    One of the so-called "giant" clones I acquired a couple years ago (not the usual suspects; something else from a private collection) is one of the smallest-pitchered varieties I grow. Cultivation technique and conditions plays a huge role in your results.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    paul i would still expect the plant to have larger pitchers than a typical clone grown in the same conditions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by corky View Post
    paul i would still expect the plant to have larger pitchers than a typical clone grown in the same conditions.
    If the conditions aren't ideal, there is no reason to assume that. The plant would only have the potential to have bigger pitchers, if conditions however aren't the best, whatever mutation causes bigger pitchers might not even be activated.
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoSarah View Post
    If the conditions aren't ideal, there is no reason to assume that. The plant would only have the potential to have bigger pitchers, if conditions however aren't the best, whatever mutation causes bigger pitchers might not even be activated.
    The conditions provided for my Cephalotus plants are as close to "ideal" as anyone could hope to achieve. This particular plant may need many years to start exhibiting this particular trait (large size) or it simply responds to full, direct sunlight by making a much more compact plant with smaller pitchers - a known response by some clones in high light conditions. Its far too simplistic a stance to assume the behavior of the plant is the result of less-than-optimal growing conditions, given that in my case, thats not the issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoSarah View Post
    so why would it grow smaller ones

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast