User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Darlingtonia, should i be concerned about soil temperature? Thanks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Darlingtonia, should i be concerned about soil temperature? Thanks!

The average humidity during the day is around 50-60% and 70%-80% at night.
    I've also attached weather forecast for the next two weeks.
    I use a soil thermometer and it reads around 85degrees under direct sun with no shade. I'll have to remeasure once the temperature hits the 70's
    is that okay? I have it inside a white glazed ceramic pot
    Also does the plant look healthy?

Last edited by ps3isawesome; 08-17-2014 at 09:35 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first question that needs to be asked: is this a mountain or coastal form? Coastal forms are far more finicky with soil temps and would definitely need something to cool that temperature down into the 50's to low 70's max. Mountain forms are less touchy, and Darlingtonia in general tend to require good soil aeration (running water or regular topwatering) more than low soil temps.
    Also, the plant does look a little under the weather, so a close eye might be a good idea, but if you can get good soil aeration and a good light regimen it should be okay.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey im in the bay too where are you in the bay? Im in oakland and i keep mine out 24/7 water about every day to every other day but water them especially on hot days to keep the roots cool. Im using 25% peat 25%lfs 25%perlite/pumice 25%lava rocks and a big pot. The top is covered in lfs. Ive noticed they like having the base covered in lfs. So what i did was take lfs and weaved them between pitchers thus covering the base of the plant, they are so much happier now. Ill post pics tomorrow for ya. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by 510thebay; 08-17-2014 at 11:44 PM.
    Nepenthes Ampullaria, Spectabilis Sibuatan, Peltata, X Miranda, Ventricosa, Spathulata,
    and Veitchii x spectibilis
    Cephalotus Follicularis Typical, unknown, and Czech Giant.
    Dionaea Muscipula Ginormous, B52, Red Piranha, Bohemian Garnet, Gremlin, Dente, King Henry and Big Mouth.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hcarlton
    good point, i just asked them and waiting to find out. thank you

510thebay
    i'm near Apple Inc. your pictures would help tremendously thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck with those... How's the sibuyanensis fairing? I have a mountain form that is doing quite well in my south facing balcony and daily watering from the top.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here ya go.

Nepenthes Ampullaria, Spectabilis Sibuatan, Peltata, X Miranda, Ventricosa, Spathulata,
    and Veitchii x spectibilis
    Cephalotus Follicularis Typical, unknown, and Czech Giant.
    Dionaea Muscipula Ginormous, B52, Red Piranha, Bohemian Garnet, Gremlin, Dente, King Henry and Big Mouth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's mine a few months ago. the plants are sending out tons of runners now so i consider it good setup. The plants are potted in a wide, low, unglazed terracotta pot. the medium in the pot is 80% perlite, 20% long fiber sphagnum. the darlingtonia is potted into this and then i "seeded" the rest of the open spaces in the pot with live sphagnum. over the last couple of years the live sphagnum has grown to be about 5 inches deep and the plants love it. the terracotta pot sits in a tray of water. i top water most days in the summer especially if temps are above 90 degrees. once you get a good layer of live sphagnum growing the inside of the pot stays really cool even in hot weather. unglazed terracotta is a good pot material to use because water can wick through the clay and evaporate from the outside of the pot, helping to keep the roots cool.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3isawesome View Post
    Also does the plant look healthy?
    With the apparent lack of new growth at this time of year the condition of the plant would warrant some concern. Any idea what the white bloom is on the pitchers?
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast