What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Darlingtonia, should i be concerned about soil temperature? Thanks!

The average humidity during the day is around 50-60% and 70%-80% at night.
I've also attached weather forecast for the next two weeks.
I use a soil thermometer and it reads around 85degrees under direct sun with no shade. I'll have to remeasure once the temperature hits the 70's
is that okay? I have it inside a white glazed ceramic pot
Also does the plant look healthy?

IMG_1868_zpsae5938e4.jpg

IMG_1869_zpsb83434db.jpg

ScreenShot2014-08-17at92752PM_zps859d5d01.png

Last edited:
The first question that needs to be asked: is this a mountain or coastal form? Coastal forms are far more finicky with soil temps and would definitely need something to cool that temperature down into the 50's to low 70's max. Mountain forms are less touchy, and Darlingtonia in general tend to require good soil aeration (running water or regular topwatering) more than low soil temps.
Also, the plant does look a little under the weather, so a close eye might be a good idea, but if you can get good soil aeration and a good light regimen it should be okay.

Hey im in the bay too where are you in the bay? Im in oakland and i keep mine out 24/7 water about every day to every other day but water them especially on hot days to keep the roots cool. Im using 25% peat 25%lfs 25%perlite/pumice 25%lava rocks and a big pot. The top is covered in lfs. Ive noticed they like having the base covered in lfs. So what i did was take lfs and weaved them between pitchers thus covering the base of the plant, they are so much happier now. Ill post pics tomorrow for ya. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Good luck with those... How's the sibuyanensis fairing? I have a mountain form that is doing quite well in my south facing balcony and daily watering from the top.

Here's mine a few months ago. the plants are sending out tons of runners now so i consider it good setup. The plants are potted in a wide, low, unglazed terracotta pot. the medium in the pot is 80% perlite, 20% long fiber sphagnum. the darlingtonia is potted into this and then i "seeded" the rest of the open spaces in the pot with live sphagnum. over the last couple of years the live sphagnum has grown to be about 5 inches deep and the plants love it. the terracotta pot sits in a tray of water. i top water most days in the summer especially if temps are above 90 degrees. once you get a good layer of live sphagnum growing the inside of the pot stays really cool even in hot weather. unglazed terracotta is a good pot material to use because water can wick through the clay and evaporate from the outside of the pot, helping to keep the roots cool.

Also does the plant look healthy?

With the apparent lack of new growth at this time of year the condition of the plant would warrant some concern. Any idea what the white bloom is on the pitchers?

Pebes: beautiful set up and plants

Here's mine a few months ago. the plants are sending out tons of runners now so i consider it good setup. The plants are potted in a wide, low, unglazed terracotta pot. the medium in the pot is 80% perlite, 20% long fiber sphagnum. the darlingtonia is potted into this and then i "seeded" the rest of the open spaces in the pot with live sphagnum. over the last couple of years the live sphagnum has grown to be about 5 inches deep and the plants love it. the terracotta pot sits in a tray of water. i top water most days in the summer especially if temps are above 90 degrees. once you get a good layer of live sphagnum growing the inside of the pot stays really cool even in hot weather. unglazed terracotta is a good pot material to use because water can wick through the clay and evaporate from the outside of the pot, helping to keep the roots cool.
I have also had good results with clay pots.

the white stuff came with the plant. there is a little bit of new growth from that tiny point you see.

510thebay
interesting, I'll do the same, thanks!!

I'll go and buy a terra-cotta pot right now!

Super grateful for everyone who's contributed to this post.
Here's what it is right now, I"ll def go buy a wide terra-cotta pot. put in more perlite, and lace the top with long-fiber sphagnum. Here's the set up right now
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c203/ps4isawesome/IMG_1874_zps4d924979.jpg
IMG_1874_zps4d924979.jpg

These are some of my plants in April.

14005580558_1fcca2d99e_o.jpg

14005580558_1fcca2d99e_o.jpg

In May I was recording root temperatures in excess of 100F (38C), I grow both alpine and coastal forms with root temperatures regularly exceeding 85F (30C) in the summer months

They are planted in shallow undrained trays ( mainly black ) of live Sphagnum or Sphagnum / perlite depending on the amount of Sphagnum I want to use at the time. I flood the trays and top up regularly, rarely will the water lever drop more than an inch (2.5 cm).

Good luck with those... How's the sibuyanensis fairing? I have a mountain form that is doing quite well in my south facing balcony and daily watering from the top.

I gave it an oxo container it seems to like it, with 3 hours of direct morning sunlight.
what do you think?
IMG_1875_zps9e22cca6.jpg

IMG_1876_zps148b8d06.jpg

oooooooohhhhhh myyyyyy goooooooodddd, you have a meadow of darlingtonias i want to just jump in.

Thanks for the information on root temperature. I shall stop worrying about it.

how old r ur plants?

Last edited:
Most of what you see were replanted in 2011. I have been growing that clone for 31 years.

plant looks good. NICE GH

Back