And while I was sitting with this guy out, a fly went right into one of the pitchers and got stuck! I could hear it buzzing around frantically trying to get out! So exciting! (Kinda seems a little disturbing how happy I am watching this fly suffer in the pitchers)
Normal spring pitchers with that one. Alway flopsy mopsy
Okay good to know, but would it be okay to divide it now?
Depends on where in the world you are. If you are in the northern hemisphere, I assume that you will be giving it a dormancy period soon, if so I would wait till then.
You can generally divide and repot sarracenia at any time of year, but to avoid set back or shock, it is best left, in my opinion, till the plant is dormant and then I wait till early spring to do such operations. The reasoning behind that being that I don't want a plant with open wounds (which is what happens when you divide it) sitting in soil for a long period before growth resumes as that gives fungus etc a long period of opportunity to get into the rhizome, whereas in spring growth starts quickly and callouses over the wound quickly.
Okay, so ne spring when I start to see new growth..Bummer, it's driving me nuts! Ha
For most Sarrs growth is really slowing down this time of year, as the plants prepare for dormancy.
So as far as the plant is concerned, the active growing season is mostly over..
which means the fact that it might a bit "crowded" right now doesn't matter much this time of year, because the
plant wont be doing much between now and March.
I agree that you should still *not* repot it now! its much better to wait for early Spring..
because its still best to not disturb the plant as it prepares for and goes into winter dormancy..
im just saying its not a big deal if you dont repot it now..the plant wont care much, because it wont be actively
growing again until Spring.
Okay, I will leave this guy alone and just keep doing what I'm doing until he goes dormant.
Tropical Fish Enthusiast
If you're desperate to repot, I would prepare a larger pot, with a depression to accommodate ALL OF what you have, and transfer as one unit. Then water from above to meld the media. Otherwise, follow Scottychaos' advise.