User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Naturally occurring Sarracenia hybrids?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Naturally occurring Sarracenia hybrids?

Hello all,

Is there a resource known to this community that lists what species are capable of hybridizing on their own in nature? I realize that with artificial pollination most species can be crossed. That's not the intention of this post however; I'm hoping to discover which plants share reproductive times and, if sympatric, would cross pollinate. I'm hoping to AVOID hybrids and would like to know which combos to avoid.

Thank you!

Last edited by Chicxulub; 10-10-2014 at 08:38 PM.
    Chicxulub on Facebook || Chicxulub on Instagram

Fisheries Manager || Biologist || Certified Master Naturalist

Never trust a catfish...

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if I understand correctly, anything can essentially hybridize with anything and pure strains when in mixed company remain pretty much just by luck?

Never trust a catfish...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not totally. Most species have specific flowering times that only overlap with other species at the ends of those times. Hybrids are common where the overlap happens to be large, but pure strains often still stick around.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    Not totally. Most species have specific flowering times that only overlap with other species at the ends of those times. Hybrids are common where the overlap happens to be large, but pure strains often still stick around.
    Is there a list known to the community that has the flowering times arranged in such a way as to compare what plants flower when for the purpose of naturally hybridizing? This is rather what I was looking for at the beginning anyway.

Never trust a catfish...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience S. flava, leucophylla, purpurea and rosea all hybridize naturally and readily together, while it is rare for them to form hybrids with the rubra complex, psittanica, and sometimes alata. rubra, alata and psittanica will often hybridize together naturally though.

From experience I know that psittanica and flava almost never naturally hybridize, as I have been to a bog where thousands of both individuals are present and not one hybrid was to be found.

Do note there are often exceptions though and all species can and sometimes do hybridize together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sflynn View Post
    In my experience S. flava, leucophylla, purpurea and rosea all hybridize naturally and readily together, while it is rare for them to form hybrids with the rubra complex, psittanica, and sometimes alata. rubra, alata and psittanica will often hybridize together naturally though.

From experience I know that psittanica and flava almost never naturally hybridize, as I have been to a bog where thousands of both individuals are present and not one hybrid was to be found.

Do note there are often exceptions though and all species can and sometimes do hybridize together.
    Good to know!

My land has minor, psittacina and flava, all of which are in separate parts of the property and don't really occur side by side. As I've started to restore the land to its former natural pine savanna ecosystem, I've had to move some of the plants that I've found and I'm worried that by moving them closer to each other, I might be creating a situation where they'll hybridize. I don't really want hybrids if I can avoid it.

(To be honest, I've not seen the flavas in years; I'm worried that they've been extirpated)

Never trust a catfish...

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am mad jelly here in Missouri. No Sarracenia here, and you have a veritable Sarr farm! Some folks have all the luck.

Congrats on the land reconstitution. I sure wish all land owners shared your drive.
    Corey Bennett

My cultivated vegetation, carnivorous and otherwise...

Formerly cbennett4041

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast