Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: my Cephalotus follicularis collection

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck caring for so many new arrivals. I hope to see them all flourish in your care.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice cephs jwalker! Good luck with them.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a minor naming correction, the Emu Point Giant should just be Emu Point as they are just a location grow seed until someone added the extra word. Somewhere around the forums there is more info about the addition. They are like the Coal Mine Beach ones, a location data Ceph that could likely be many clones with the same name.

Something around Ceph. Location Emu Point would be much better, unless there is reason you believe you have a "giant" seed grown location data plant from that area. The ones origination from BigBella, Dennis Hastings, Myself, or ******* Nepenthes are very likely the same clone and while one of the best growers for me have never shown any "giant" tendencies.

Here is one reference on the this one, more info is on the forums somewhere about it.

Cephalotus follicularis location Emu Point, Albany AU (Also know as Emu Point and/or Emu Point Giant) -

"Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post

The three "Emu Point" plants that I had provided Dennis Hastings, originated from leaf pulls that had either been grown on compost; or else, developed in vitro from that same tissue, from a single, wild-collected plant, taken legally (for the benefit of the inquisition that occasionally rears its head on TF) from the border of a parkland and cattle-grazing area. Some seed had also been collected; but those plants were never part of that initial shipment. Apparently, there had been some confusion there.

Many of my plants have produced larger than "average" pitchers; though I have still had "typical" plants, from time to time, produce 2.5-3" leaves -- more a function of age and health, in my opinion, than the provenance of any particular cultivar or clone . . ."

From Dennis Hastings old Website.

"I have added this plant as an unusual clone because of the history it was given. This plant was seed grown from a mother plant originating in the Emu point region of southern Australia. It has been said the parent plant produced pitchers as large as three inches. Since this has been seed grown, there in no way to emphatically state this plant will grow up to be a giant also. I will keep this plant updated in a set of images to let you know how it does.

I have since learned from the person I received the plant from, that the pitchers on the seed grown plants get to about 2.5 inches tall." Source http://thecephalotus.info/html/unusual__clones_.html"

The website is no longer being maintained, but I transcribed all the information in this thread, http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...olidated/page4.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys I love these little plant there my favorite cp for shore

I've only got 3 new plants this month lol but seriously theses first months are always stress full

Rss thanks for the info I was aware that it is a location that is why I got it I'm more interested in location plants and I'm pretty shore it came from one of them ppl u mention and that tag came with it So I'm really not shore why do u know enything about squat

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I know about the Squat clone would be from the late Dennis Hastings website that is no longer up. It is probably the only Ceph that when it is producing larger pitchers you can actually pick it out in a line up. Well that and the banana one, assuming the banana clone is stable. The Squat seems to be stable, and does not seem to require specific conditions to grow its clone traits. I will say from my experiences and a few other veteran Ceph growers that Squat seems to be a weaker clone and prone to more problems, harder to grow from leaf pulls, ect.

"Cephalotus follicularis "Squat" - "The “Squat” pitcher tends to be wider than the typical pitcher giving it a squatter appearance. The smaller pitchers on this plant have the shape of a bullet with a more rounded bottom."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    assuming the banana clone is stable.
    Yep it is stable and doesn't need special conditions to get its shape.

I will say from my experiences and a few other veteran Ceph growers that Squat seems to be a weaker clone and prone to more problems,
    I can say exactly the opposite. I find Squat stronger and that clone perfectly passed the test in my conditions since some plants were solid frozen and ended up with no damage compared to other Cephs...

harder to grow from leaf pulls
    I tried with 4 leaves and all 4 rooted, so I would say it is quite easy to root Squat from leaf cuttings, moreover each leaf produces several growing points, but yeah I agree the plants from leaf cuttings grow extremely slow like snail. although they are already a year old.
    ...I can hear a blue bird sing, and hear a robin call but yellow, yellow daffodil I love you most of all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Is the banana clone a plant we can get or is it a clone that like 3 ppl in the world have and that's it

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Link to some photo's http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...howtopic=51153

To the best of my knowledge it is a newer one so it is unlikely you would be able to get it in the US now, unless you knew the right people.

When it comes to the really rare stuff people tend to not let out they have them, a lot of peoples collections have been stolen in the past . So it is much harder to figure out what is actually in the US than it would otherwise be.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast