What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceph. leaf pull might be doing something

Well thanks to RSS generosity in the ceph leaf pull giveaway,I think after nearly 19 weeks I have a strike,Never grown these before especially in sponges,you can see 2 small what look like to me ceph. leaves,What do you experienced growers think?
Thanks.

Yes, this leaf has definitely struck. Congrats !

Awesome! and Thanks. I thought so but did'nt want to do the happy dance to soon!!

Hey CG, I know you from the other site!!At least I believe it's you.

:bigthumpup: Careful, pretty soon you will be overrun with ceph babies as pulling and planting ceph leaves can become pretty addictive after the first success.

Madmacks420...I am getting ready to try my hand at this. Could you tell us what conditions you have keep this in? Any help would be appreciated. I am also going to use the sponge like you have.

Glad to see another leaf pull rooted, things like this encourage me to send out more leaf pulls. Delicate plants my !@$@#$. :-D If you can mail a leaf and have someone else get it to strike that says volumes. Not once but dozens of times by people that have never grown a Ceph.

Here is some random info about the sponges I've been using http://www.terraforums.com/forums/s...-traditional-methods-Lets-get-a-list-together. If I only had a handful of Cephs and I never planned to mail any off I would not be using sponges at all. They solve alot of issues I have considering the amount of Cephs + the amount of shipping we do. Don't misunderstand I'm loving these sponges but I see them more of a rooting/transporting solution than a medium.

For a personal collection I would check out a Turface based mix. There should be some google able info about a mix ratio out there somewhere, I'm using Turface MVP/Peat at between 1:1 and 3:1 depending on pot size. The larger the pot the less peat.

Just for the record I did some "normal" sponges and tried 4 leaf pulls, they all died.

Hey AeroG. I kept mine in a plastic container that I got tomatoes in at the grocery store.They were under T-5 lights at about 80 degrees(max.).65-70 at night..10 inches or so away. 70-80% humidity was in the clear chamber I checked it twice,I had 3 leaves to start,one died after a couple of weeks,2nd one died at the 4 month mark which still has me stumped,I tore the sponge apart,but there were no roots,I pulled the last one and saw roots! Maybe I should'nt say this but about 10 days ago I painted the leaf with a little fertilizer and a paint brush.Bio thrive by General Organics was the fert.,Finally the day I bought a ceph on ebay, was Mon. 13th, checked it and sure enough you guys here confirmed I had a strike,I would have still bought that one on ebay because it was $35 shipped ,buy it now from (seller)root66nurseries.It will be here this week,and yes I see the addiction part of this venture.Soon I'll be able to have my own give away,Spring time I should have a bunch of Neps. big enough to ship! I hope this was some help,if not PM me and I'll get right back to ya! And thanks to RSS son for picking my plant as the ugliest plant in the contest!Not a tittle to be proud of.LOL

Last edited:
You guys here are witness to the beginning of an addiction,,,Here is my new Ceph I got on ebay(3 growing points too),,,Soooo many leaves to pull,it's killing me not to..Maybe in the spring...I need to thank RSS again,now for the addiction you started over here..LOL
Who am I kidding,I wanted one the moment I found out they even existed..I still have Jcal's seed,10 seeds planted.Fingers crossed,it's been about 5 weeks..And the new leaf stike looks to me to have 2 growing points,Even I could tell now I have a strike,and they seem to be growing faster than I would have thought.

Last edited:
Looking good - a lot of people I'm America have a great love for them!!

Back