Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is my Cephalotus dead? Help!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is my Cephalotus dead? Help!!!

I've had it for about 4 months now. It's put out smaller new growth that later died off as you can see in the picture. I think it was the hot 90 degree summers. I recently moved it inside about a months ago. The green leaf you see aren't new. They've been there since I moved it inside. Which means there hasn't been new growth. I also am curious at how often I should water the plant. I thought it needed dry soil so i gave it very little water which I think was a mistake. I must admit I got too many different kinds of plants at once and got overwhelmed. So this was one of the neglected ones.....

It's right now sitting under 4 T5HO on for 12 hours.

Please help this cephalotus follicularis

Front

Back

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trim off the dead brown leaves. The non-carnivorous leaves look perfectly healthy. Slow down of growth and non-carnivorous leaves is typical in winter months.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tray method for watering. Don't use more water than covers 25% of your pot.
    Last edited by Randoja; 12-02-2014 at 09:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree with NaN, trim the dead leaves and be watchful of it. If you are growing the ceph inside under artificial lights, you can let it sit in some water. Too much water, and the fungus gnats will appear, too little water and the ceph will be unhappy. I find that cephalotus enjoy soil more moist than dry, but the amount of water depends on your pot size. If you received the plant 4 months ago and placed it outside when we had the heat wave, I would imagine the plant would not be too happy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine was outside in full sun all summer and saw extended periods of 90F + and it never missed a beat, after acclimating to the higher light levels. It also took a light freeze without issue. The top 1" of the media froze solid. I don't think that a lack of temperature tolerance is responsible for Cephs' reputation for touchiness.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never grown any Ceph dry, moist is the closest I've ever went. You many simply be underwatering it, all growth would stop and the newer growth would generally die off under a drought.

Keep in mind you are providing it with a TON of light, without knowing exactly what is going on you may have sun burnt the pitchers too. Moving them from a lower light to a very high light area can dry out the top growth.

I'd submerge the entire pot, not any part of the crown of the Ceph just the pot in as pure of water as you have. For about an hour just to help get out any air pockets in the medium and to evenly moisten the medium.

Then watering tray, some careful trimming and wait. Refill the watering tray only when it has been bone dry for atleast 24 hours, depending on pot size and medium type you can go much longer after the tray is dry. You don't want to break the moist medium wick while your tray is dry or you might start killing off root tips.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cephalotus is not a dry soil species - in fact, quite the opposite. Adjust your cultivation technique.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the suggestions, will trim, water and get rid of air bubbles, and keep it moist. I'll also bring it away from the artificial grow lights and leave it the windowsill above the grow area that receives about 4 hours of direct sunlight between 8-12 and then dappled+shaded from 12 until 5PM (completely dark). Does that sound like enough light?

When I read avoid root rot I thought of this as keeping the soil dry. Now I know is moist.
    Last edited by ps3isawesome; 12-03-2014 at 08:19 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast