What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dark Seed Grown Cephalotus Northcliffe

A very colorful location cephalotus seedling from across the pond by CPUK grower Dimitar. It is great to see genetic diversity in addition to the number of colorful cephalotus cultivars and clones on the market today.

15766690178_ae1be6560f_c.jpg

15768375417_002fa4c297_c.jpg

15768077499_24073ee85c_c.jpg

15952135951_336b1103c1_c.jpg

Never seen the like. But that's what seed grown is all about!

I'd still be very careful what I called a cephalotus clone. Looking at the CPUK thread there is no mention of the growing conditions or if supplemental/artificial lighting was involved. This is VERY important as seen below. I have no reason to believe this plant was not grown with natural sunlight but I know what can be done. I see purple seed grown Cephs on e-bay added every few days and I'd bet they are all LED colored.

Ceph. 'Hummer's Giant' by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Should be an Emo Point

DSC_0167 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

And I could post a dozen more examples of artificial lighting purpling clones. Keep in mind I run my LEDs at 50% or so power, they could run a lot brighter.

I'd still be very careful what I called a cephalotus clone. Looking at the CPUK thread there is no mention of the growing conditions or if supplemental/artificial lighting was involved. This is VERY important as seen below. I have no reason to believe this plant was not grown with natural sunlight but I know what can be done. I see purple seed grown Cephs on e-bay added every few days and I'd bet they are all LED colored.

Ceph. 'Hummer's Giant' by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Should be an Emo Point

DSC_0167 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

And I could post a dozen more examples of artificial lighting purpling clones. Keep in mind I run my LEDs at 50% or so power, they could run a lot brighter.

cool pics pokie, do you know what the lighting conditions are?

Eww! Yuck! Those are just horrible! I think you both should just pack those hideous things up and mail them to me !!! LOL

Awesome plants, guys!

Last edited:
Eww! Yuck! Those are just horrible! I think you both should just pack those hideous things up and mail them to me !!! LOL

Awesome plants, guys!

Got a laugh out of me!

Last edited:
That is a beautiful plant but like rss said lighting can make that happen but is there any that can not turn purple with intense light that is a clone I would like

As far as I know the only clone that has enough evidence that light is not playing a huge part in its colorations is 'Eden Black'. However, even with that clone getting passed around there is still little documented about it. Even with mass amounts of viable and verifiable 'Eden Black' X seeds out there we are not seeing the photographic evidence I would expect. The 'Eden Black' X seeds I have are mid to bad for coloration and are showing no special traits yet. If you dig around a lot there are a handful of possibly special plants coming out from these seeds.

With 'Eden Black' we have http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cultivars/description/Eden_Black_cultivar_web.pdf, figure 2 showing different clones growing in similar conditions with a wide range of colorations. Basically what we need for every "black/purple/special" claim.

With this new dark clone only being 3+ years old (I believe that is what I read earlier) it will be a long time before enough info is gathered.

Perhaps one of the most interesting Eden crosses out there imo. http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=51153

I'd love to get my hands on that one!

Last edited:
how many different clones do you have RSS?

That is a good question...I'd have to count them. About a dozen or so "named" Cephs growing under a variety of lighting/conditions. Add to that the seed grown ones and it would be a lot. As for traits in those named plants 4-5 actually have traits that stand out. None of the seed grown plants I have are anything special yet.

The Emu Point I have is special, or I just have the goldilocks zone for leaf production. Best answer I can get is that Emu Point is a location seed grown plant and there may be 1 or 100 different clones with the same name. Same with the Phil Mann I have its special, very wide color variations between plants in exact conditions/age. Another odd named plant, from my research all Phil Mann means is that is was a plant he collected due to some trait that was better than the surrounding ones and there could be hundreds with the same name all different.

If you spend a little time trying to figure out where most of these accepted clones came from you generally end up hitting a wall with no info. They just appear overnight as if someone removed the Emu point label and added a 'Big Boy' label. Gotta love Ceph names :)

I'm pretty sure my 'Hummer's Giant', that I have a paper trail back to him, is not the same plant pokie is growing :0o:. Never a pitcher much over 2". But then again I've never grown the giant pitchers on any of my Cephs.

I have a dozen or so named cephs, some from across the pond as well. And temps and light are the main contributing factors to color. I have a number of friends in the UK that have Eden black and not one of them look 100% like the mother plant. And these are bought directly from the source. They maybe slightly darker than other clones but not the brown/black color the clone is known for....

Same with giant pitchers. If you alter your growing conditions then you will be able to achieve those desired results. Some plants have better traits than others but you can coax a healthy plant in the direction you want.

But great looking photos indeed. I need to get LEDs!

Last edited:
If you spend a little time trying to figure out where most of these accepted clones came from you generally end up hitting a wall with no info. They just appear overnight as if someone removed the Emu point label and added a 'Big Boy' label. Gotta love Ceph names :)

Hello again RSS it's looking like I have to correct you yet again. Big Boy has been in cultivation since at least 1983 and in the UK, Germany,South Africa and the USA since the later 1980s. I don't think that is quite overnight.

As far as I know the only clone that has enough evidence that light is not playing a huge part in its colorations is 'Eden Black'. !

I have to correct you once again. The light plays huge factor for the coloration of Eden Black, otherwise u surely will end up with green plant.
However I haven't seen any proofs so far in Europe someone to get the same color as Stephen Morely claims u would get....

I have sent Eden Black to Pokie22 in USA, so probably she would enter with some updated pics lol

Last edited:
I'm afraid they are both corrections RSS, it has nothing to do with the english language. The information you have passed on in these two posts was confusing in the first one and quite frankly insulting in the second. I'm afraid Mr Nunn communicates through ignorance too.

Of course, there is no mention of growing conditions. Anyone who is SOMEONE in the ceph world, knows whose plants these are and the growing conditions.

Premise: LED lighting induces dark coloration on cephalotus plants.
Conclusion: Dark cephalotus are grown under LED lighting.
Your inductive reasoning is flawless.

Huh,
I feel like we are splitting hairs here.

He did say "most" names have appeared over night. Your big boy clone is well documented, but most of the clone names have recently appeared. And finding any info on them about their specific straits are very hard. Most are dead ends.

I don't grow Eden black. And I agree with the statement that light is a huge contributing factor for color. But from what I have gathered from cpuk is that Eden black has a general tendency to be darker than other clones grown in the same condition. Not the black pics that we see, but slightly darker than other cephalotus plants.

RSS, are u trying to say that my Cephalotus Northcliffe is grown under LED light and the color is achieved in this way?

If so, I have to correct you for the third time - no under normal greenhouse conditions in Europe with the old sun.

BTW Dimi, nice plant and well grown as usual.

Back