User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jcals ceph (Cephalotus) seed results.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jcals ceph (Cephalotus) seed results.

I had a lot of success with my Cephalotus producing seed this summer. I distributed alot of seed into the hands of growers. I have gotten a few pms and emails about them. I wAs hoping that all could share the results of the seeds you got from me this year!

Below are a few photos of the seeds I sowed. Already have a dozen of sprouts with some producing pitchers!

Last edited by Jcal; 07-08-2015 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Nomenclature

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet! Seed grown plants are always nice...genetic lottery! BTW are they planted in the foam trays vacutainers come in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once, many years ago, when I was a member of the ACPS (Australian Carnivorous Plant Society), I obtained some fresh Cephalotus seed from their seed bank. It germinated and grew quickly and easily - which was very rewarding. I enjoyed it greatly.

I made a solution of my dried insect powder, in water, and placed a tiny amount in their teenie pitchers with a medium bore needle and syringe. They carry a wide assortment at our local livestock feed stores.

Before feeding them, they were hardly growing, but afterward they really took off.

Here is a link to my thread, back then. I hadn't started feeding them, at the time of the thread. I'm trying to locate the pic I had in that thread, if I find it, I'll restore it, and link it here, too.

Nice job Jcal, I never did get any seeds from my own plants. But maybe in the future I'll be brave enough to give them what they need to flower and set seed. Your efforts are inspiring, thanks.
    Okay, here's the pic of the seedlings I had, then. They sure start out tiny -->

Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-19-2014 at 02:28 AM.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Joseph!
    I've never thought to look at livestock stores. I have searched for tiny eye droppers and others various lab equipment to find something to feed those tiny pitchers. I've even read that you can use hollow deer hair for the purpose. Not sure how that would work, but livestock supplies are pretty easy to find in my area. Thanks for the tip! I'll go hunting this weekend.

Here's a few threads I started about my plants producing seed. I couldn't dig up any more pictures.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-flower-stalks

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...us-seed-photos

My collection goes through a mild dormant period. I lessen the photoperiod and let them cool down for a few months. That seemed to do the trick.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wish I had better news but none of them are doing anything on my end. The 3-4 types of Nep seeds I picked up over the last year giveaways are just starting to come up so maybe I still have hope.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rss- I'm sure some will pop up for you soon. I noticed a few cephalotus babies in a drosera pot that was beside the flowering plants. They are becoming a weed, and I love it!

Joseph - I've noticed that you have used insect powder in a few other applications. Do you make it or can it be purchased?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I collect local insects in a bucket beneath an electric bug zapper, covered with 1" chicken wire (or the birds and lizards eat all the collected insects). Then I put them in my oven in a casserole dish, set at 100F, until they are quite dry. I then grind them to a powder in an electric coffee grinder. Then store them in recycled medicine bottles. Before I collected my own, I'd just grind freeze-dried tubifex and blood worms the same way, and they were already dried. But I was using so many, it was costing a fortune, and I already had the bug zapper and the coffee grinder, so, bingo.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jcal sent me some seed a few months ago; I, too, have germination. #ProudParent

These are the best pictures I could take. You have to look quite close, but there are about seven with more hatching regularly.
    Corey Bennett

My cultivated vegetation, carnivorous and otherwise...

Formerly cbennett4041

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast