Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heli growth rate question

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heli growth rate question

Do some helis grow slower than others, in nature? I ask because my H. chimantensis is moving at a snail's pace, when my others are pumping out pitchers galore. Is it just me, or is this species the villosa of the heli world?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would assume that this is natural because I have the exact same thing happening. All of my helis seem to be healthy and all are throwing new pitchers out like crazy except the chimantensis. In the time that my uncinata has produced 5 pitchers the chimantensis has only produced 1 new pitcher which hasn't even fully opened yet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the feedback! That makes me feel better.
    Last edited by mass; 12-24-2014 at 06:50 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe there is some kind of specific micro-condition that the species in question needs compared to other Heliamphora? Maybe something like how N. northiana requires special care in the substrate department, or how N. villosa needs especially colder nights compared to some highlanders. It would be great to hear Butch's feedback.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    Maybe there is some kind of specific micro-condition that the species in question needs compared to other Heliamphora? Maybe something like how N. northiana requires special care in the substrate department, or how N. villosa needs especially colder nights compared to some highlanders. It would be great to hear Butch's feedback.
    Was definitely hoping he'd chime in here.. Heliamphora are a whole new world for me. The few I have are doing extremely well (imo), so of course that makes me want to learn everything I can about them.
    Last edited by mass; 12-24-2014 at 07:05 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've noticed that for whatever reason, if you plant them in pots that are a few sizes too big for them they tend to grow out faster. This is most evident in smaller plants. They seem to appreciate some elbow room. That all being said though, H.chimantensis is one of my slower growing plants.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    getting ready to head home, so will chime in more tomorrow, but fwiw

growth rates vary dramatically from seed to seed and clone line to clone line
    also, many species require regular feedings to see good growth

excessive airflow, too low or high temps can also have a significant effect

if you have a heliamphora that seems to be "stalled", start feeding
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 12-24-2014 at 08:53 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to know..
    My chimantensis isn't stalled, just slower than the others. I do provide the same fert regimen to the helis as I do my neps. Is a monthly root drench adequate?
    Is it ok to use the same media mix for all species? I seem to be having the best success with a fast draining, fluffy mix of live LFS & perlite.
    Thanks in advance.. Merry Christmas!
    Last edited by mass; 12-24-2014 at 09:14 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast