User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worth trying to start with rhizomes?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Sarracenia in a greenhouse and they don't get lower than 60F nights all winter. However, they do get a natural (i.e. shortening) photoperiod in winter. They go into dormancy and emerge, with flowers, just fine.

I would load up on all the Sarrs you could ever dream of owning, and more than likely they'll have no trouble. Rhizomes aren't dead and lifeless-they can still sense the temperature and daylength and decide for themselves what they want to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpappy789 View Post
    S. minor and flava (I think) are the only ones that naturally stretch this far south/east, but there's no doubt most all will like the climate here.

I just wasn't sure if starting rhizomes now would be worth it since for most people dormancy lasts, what, another 2-3 months or so?

Unfortunately all my outdoor space is on the second floor of an apartment building. Believe me, I'd put in a bog in a heart beat if I had my own land. I have enough room though that I might try some bigger tubs...but they'll at least have to be potted.
    Dormancy lasts another 2-3 months for northern states, not for us here in FL. I'm in zone 9 as well, should only be a few more weeks for us, so rhizomes are perfectly fine to start now. You're also on the second floor, so frost damage to a rhizome is extremely unlikely, even if we get hit with another cold front before spring. Go for it, Sarracenia do great in this part of FL!

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taargus View Post
    Dormancy lasts another 2-3 months for northern states, not for us here in FL. I'm in zone 9 as well, should only be a few more weeks for us, so rhizomes are perfectly fine to start now. You're also on the second floor, so frost damage to a rhizome is extremely unlikely, even if we get hit with another cold front before spring. Go for it, Sarracenia do great in this part of FL!
    Thanks Taargus! Glad to see another north FL grower! I'm super pumped to make use of the plant-friendly climate here.
    -Josh
    Grow list

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12