User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worth trying to start with rhizomes?

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Worth trying to start with rhizomes?

So I've never really delved into the Sarracenia world, but now that I have a south-facing patio I want to start over with outdoor growing. I'm in north central FL (9a) so "winter" is maybe a few nights here or there that get down in the high 20's/low 30's. I'm honestly not even sure what the growing season would be here and how people deal with dormancy in this climate. Almost all of my experience thus far with CP's has been inside, and most of the advice out there regarding Sarrs is for the 98% of people who at least have to acknowledge winter.

Which is why I'm curious if it would be worth it for me to start off with rhizomes at this point of the season, or should I wait until spring and go with more established plants?
    -Josh
    Grow list

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can go either way, rhizomes or established plants. Doesn't really matter. All Sarracenia species and hybrids (with the possible exception of S.purpurea purpurea) will be very easy and almost effortless (relatively speaking) plants to grow in your area.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with johnny. Sarrs would love your climate. Id jump right in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on your area, some of your best growth would probably be with Sarracenia minor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes no difference in my opinion. Some people think they are easier to ship dormant, especially if you trim the pitchers off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all!
    -Josh
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope you realize that many are native to your area. You're right smack in the middle of Sarracenia country. It would be rather simple to create a suitable outdoor growing area, potted or even in the ground, if your soil is suitable and with appropriate watering.

Your natural climate should suit them well. If I were you, I'd obtain or create a three or four inch deep tray, that would hold water, to put them in. Build a chicken wire enclosure (to keep critters from bothering them - especially squirrels). Then just keep the tray filled with water, then trim off the old growth as it dies away each season.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-23-2015 at 04:25 PM.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    S. minor and flava (I think) are the only ones that naturally stretch this far south/east, but there's no doubt most all will like the climate here.

I just wasn't sure if starting rhizomes now would be worth it since for most people dormancy lasts, what, another 2-3 months or so?

Unfortunately all my outdoor space is on the second floor of an apartment building. Believe me, I'd put in a bog in a heart beat if I had my own land. I have enough room though that I might try some bigger tubs...but they'll at least have to be potted.
    Last edited by jpappy789; 01-23-2015 at 06:26 PM.
    -Josh
    Grow list

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast