User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are some particularlly cold hardy Sarracenia?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow many S. flava outside year round in Boston. Pretty tough plants.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-30-2015 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Nomenclature

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed with all of the above. I, too, live in 6b; Southeast Missouri to be precise. I have grown all of my Sarracenia outside in previous winters with minimal protection... some with none at all. Not to say it didn't make me a bit nervous during our cold dips. I have yet to loose one to cold temps, though. This includes S. flava, S. leucophylla, S. rosea, S. psittacina... basically all of them.

That said, it makes a difference whether they are potted or not. Mine are typically potted, thus my regular yet slight anxiety during cold dips in temperature. I am experimenting with keeping everything in the garage this winter to see if it affects their spring growth, however.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-30-2015 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Nomenclature
    Corey Bennett

My cultivated vegetation, carnivorous and otherwise...

Formerly cbennett4041

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CorneliusSchrute View Post
    Agreed with all of the above. I, too, live in 6b; Southeast Missouri to be precise. I have grown all of my Sarracenia outside in previous winters with minimal protection... some with none at all. Not to say it didn't make me a bit nervous during our cold dips. I have yet to loose one to cold temps, though. This includes S. flava, S. leucophylla, S. rosea, S. psittacina... basically all of them.

That said, it makes a difference whether they are potted or not. Mine are typically potted, thus my regular yet slight anxiety during cold dips in temperature. I am experimenting with keeping everything in the garage this winter to see if it affects their spring growth, however.
    Ah, thats reassuring I am going to try to get some S. flava then.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-30-2015 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Nomenclature
    ~Burgeoning connoisseur of all things ventricosa or otherwise tubby.~

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience, Sarracenia are tough plants capable of weathering very cold temperatures with adequate winter protection. Here in zone 7a in New Jersey, I've successfully overwintered Sarracenia ranging from cold-hardy S. purpurea to a particularly sensitive S. (rubra x psittacina) x leucophylla hybrid. Winters here can get down to 10F. I've found that the secret to my success is large pots and lots of pine needles. I have my Sarracenia growing in large planters that I sink into the ground, then mulch with a one foot deep layer of pine needles. Additionally, the plants are covered by a protective snow blanket all winter, so I rarely lose anything to cold damage. I think that if you pick tougher plants like S. flava or S. oreophila and keep them under a thick layer of mulch in your shed, you should be fine. If you really want to get your hands on a S. psittacina, then I think your best bet is to just stick it in the fridge when dormancy comes around.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-30-2015 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Nomenclature

For the love of Science! Dragoness's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sashoke, are you able to put them in the ground?

S. leucophylla are pretty tough, too.

I grow quite a variety of Sarracenia outdoors (Zone 5) year round. Around thanksgiving, I bury them under a mountain of mulch, leaves, etc. Even my S. minor was fine (if a bit slower to take off in the spring than everyone else.)

In addition to my S. purpurea, my S. psittacina, my mystery Sarracenia (I believe it is S. alata) S. minor, S. leucophylla, all survived last winter, and that was a doozy, and their first winter outdoors to boot.

This year I have dozens more out there, but I don't want to say for sure how they did until spring, lol. Even though this winter has so far been much milder than last winter.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-30-2015 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Nomenclature
    Jen- My Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...00#post1154900
    "Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar."
    -Bradley Miller-

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I dont think Im able to put them in the ground, I dont think my folks would appreciate me going and digging holes in the yard

I can cover them in newspapers and then put a tarp over that though.
    ~Burgeoning connoisseur of all things ventricosa or otherwise tubby.~

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sashoke View Post
    I can cover them in newspapers and then put a tarp over that though.
    Insufficient if temps go much below 20F. Its quite irrelevant what happens above ground, but if you allow the rhizome/roots to freeze solid, you risk killing the plant. Insulation is the key to overwintering the southern species.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought of some of the mountain Darlingtonia? They stand the cold really well.
    Cheers
    Steve
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-30-2015 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Nomenclature

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast