User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick comparison between fertilized and non-fertilized Sarracenia rubra sbsp. rubra

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick comparison between fertilized and non-fertilized Sarracenia rubra sbsp. rubra

So about a year and a half ago I started Some S. rubra sbsp rubra from seed from the ICPS seed bank, and at about 6 months I fertilized 1 of the 2 pots with osmocote 14-14-14 four month Flower and Vegetable plant food. I placed 5 pellets evenly apart in the pot, about a centimeter deep in the soil. These were the results(cat for scale):

The pot on the left did not receive the fertilizer while the pot on the right did. This is by no means a scientific study as only 2 pots were used, but it clearly shows the difference between fertilized and non-fertilized plants. These plants are right next to each other and everything is the same beside the fertilization.
    Last edited by sflynn; 01-31-2015 at 09:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could a mod please fix the title please, supposed to be comparison

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the pot on the left in the same light conditions? Are they both the same seed batch?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All exactly the same, right next to each other, same seed batch, soil, even pot, only difference was fertilization.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I wonder why fertilization causes a decrease in anthocyanin production...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you think if my Sarracenias are outside and gets bugs, I'd still benefit from the osmocote?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In older plants soil fertilization can occasionally cause rot, I've heard it's best to only do this with seedlings. I doubt if your plants are outside they really need fertilization but it could still help if they are young, but I have no experience there, anybody else know?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SFLguy View Post
    Hmm, I wonder why fertilization causes a decrease in anthocyanin production...
    I think it may be because it is capable of putting to use all the sunlight it can use, since I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) anthocynin is often produced when a plant has more light than it needs. (trying to remember off the top of my head, could be wrong on this)
    Last edited by sflynn; 01-31-2015 at 10:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast