Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Propagating a small Cephalotus

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Propagating a small Cephalotus

I just wanted to document how long it takes to generate some new plants from a small Cephalotus. I always think it's a good idea, if possible, to propagate a new plant.

I received the plant 4 weeks ago tomorrow, from a generous giveaway from Dexenthes (thanks!). The plant looked beautiful upon arrival.

In a 2 inch pot:

After I decided the plant looked settled in, I decided to pull a leaf and root it. At some point I also noticed the plant that Dexenthes sent had 3 growing points. I saw three plants... I decided to cautiously take a division. Unfortunately I forgot to write down the date, but I'll assume it was 3 weeks ago, maximum. Here's what that first division, and the pulled leaf looked like yesterday--both have roots. All the roots on the division are new since it was taken:

I'm a big believer in checking the progress of cuttings, and I noticed that the division had roots a while ago. So I took another, somewhat larger division when I saw those roots. That second division is also rooting. See the multiple short roots down near the bottom:

As I say, i forgot to write down dates, but here's a rough guess:

Plant received: 4 weeks ago
    First division, leaf cutting taken: <3 weeks ago
    Second division taken: ~1 1/2 weeks ago
    And I took another leaf pull yesterday.

And here are the 3 1/2 plants, yesterday, in 2 inch pots (the rooted leaf is reddish, at 2 o'clock in the pot on the left):

So I'll try to follow up with these, and see how many plants I can generate out of this over the next few months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget, the pitcher leaves can be propagated, just like the flat ones.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking good!
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joseph: Yep. However, I don't have too much to work with there yet, although I suspect that will change soon. This is also a new species to me, and I would hate to immediately remove the most interesting feature. Presumably the flat ones are more efficient at photosynthesis (for equivalent sized leaves), so possibly removing one of those potentially weakens the mother plant more. But do they give the young plantlets a stronger start for the same reason?.

Dexenthes: Thanks again!
    Last edited by RandyS; 02-16-2015 at 01:48 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job randyS

I have found that when I divide young plants it really sets them back and takes longer for them to mature. I'm still waiting for a small plant that I divided too early to produce mature pitchers. Over a year and still waiting....

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcal View Post
    Good job randyS

I have found that when I divide young plants it really sets them back and takes longer for them to mature. I'm still waiting for a small plant that I divided too early to produce mature pitchers. Over a year and still waiting....

Yea this is the reason I was offering such an established division. I was thinking it would make mature pitchers soon. Now it may very well take its sweet time, but you will probably have more Cephalotus in the end, so it's just a cost-benefit decision.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jcal and Dexenthes,

I'll follow up here with pictures. I've also read to expect the plants to "seem" set back, drop leaves and pitchers... I see no sign of that, so far.. Some nice new growth, though.

Most people would recommend strongly against digging up the divisions and leaf pulling like I did. Surely the young roots would be damaged. It can be done, if done carefully.
    Last edited by RandyS; 02-16-2015 at 09:37 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also point out that the removal of the first leaf and the removal of the first division should have been essentially equivalent in terms of setting back a plant. Both came without roots and both are essentially the same size.

The removal of the second division could potentially be a bigger loss to the main plant, but again no feeder roots were removed or damaged. I would expect that if anything was set back significantly it would be this division, not the main plant.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast