I just wanted to document how long it takes to generate some new plants from a small Cephalotus. I always think it's a good idea, if possible, to propagate a new plant.
I received the plant 4 weeks ago tomorrow, from a generous giveaway from Dexenthes (thanks!). The plant looked beautiful upon arrival.
In a 2 inch pot:
After I decided the plant looked settled in, I decided to pull a leaf and root it. At some point I also noticed the plant that Dexenthes sent had 3 growing points. I saw three plants... I decided to cautiously take a division. Unfortunately I forgot to write down the date, but I'll assume it was 3 weeks ago, maximum. Here's what that first division, and the pulled leaf looked like yesterday--both have roots. All the roots on the division are new since it was taken:
I'm a big believer in checking the progress of cuttings, and I noticed that the division had roots a while ago. So I took another, somewhat larger division when I saw those roots. That second division is also rooting. See the multiple short roots down near the bottom:
As I say, i forgot to write down dates, but here's a rough guess:
Plant received: 4 weeks ago
First division, leaf cutting taken: <3 weeks ago
Second division taken: ~1 1/2 weeks ago
And I took another leaf pull yesterday.
And here are the 3 1/2 plants, yesterday, in 2 inch pots (the rooted leaf is reddish, at 2 o'clock in the pot on the left):
So I'll try to follow up with these, and see how many plants I can generate out of this over the next few months.