Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Too late to Sow?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too late to Sow?

First post here; figured I'd show off my procrastinating skills. In early September I received ~20 Sarracenia purpurea seeds with the mindset that I'd stratify half of them for 4 weeks, then stratify the remaining seeds after that. Well, since than half the seeds have been in my fridge with some damp sphagnum moss and half are in their original packaging. My question is if any of the seeds are still viable or should they be thrown out. Thanks,

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on your location it is probably okay to sow the stratified seeds. You can always grow them under lights and skip dormancy for two or three years. If the other seeds were dry stored in the refrigerator they should still be viable.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All Sarracenia seeds should be at least stored in the fridge to preserve viability (after a few months in room temperature they don't do so well, up to that point they should be fine), and the stratified seeds are fine. S. purpurea seeds in the wild would be experiencing anywhere between 2-8 months of cold before spring arrived.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed with both the above.
    you should have no problem germinating those seeds.

Cheers
    Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome, thanks for the help guys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed, with all that's been said,you may even get higher germination rates with a longer stratification. A month will get you good germination, longer will be better for most species. Think about hcarlton's numbers about how long they stratify in nature. A month is a guideline, with some searching around you will find different numbers for different species.

If you're worried about them through dormancy do as Not A Number said and skip it. They will be fine missing a couple and many people do this intentionally to encourage them to grow faster. I am sowing seeds late this year so I'll probably keep everything under lights next winter. Last years seedlings are dormant right now though they were months ahead of where I am this time around.