Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus Development

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how cold does it get on your window sill? for the short amount of time you have had it, it seems that you have owned it mostly during winter. i would wait until it warms up and check its growth after spring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it is a slow-growing clone then. While it has doubled in its breadth, I expected more change in pitcher size because of its supposed age. It has recently put out ten somewhat large (for the plant size) non-carnivorous leaves in the past two weeks. I assume this is due to the onset of Spring. I probably should have been more descriptive in my initial posts, it is growing, but as I just mentioned, it seems so tiny for a plant its age. Perhaps it will surprise me with larger pitchers as the weather gets warm.

It would not be below 65F during the day in this particular window. Maybe ~60F at night, even during the coldest of winter days.

Thanks for the input everyone. If you have more suggestions, please let me know. It seems like I may just have to be a bit more patient with this particular plant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cephs don't mind low temps unless you're talking a freeze. A real freeze.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Cephalotus seem to slow down in growth during winter when the days are shorter and temps are cooler. I keep mine in an unheated garage window over winter with average nighttime temps being in the low 40s by mid/late winter though. Also I have noticed that when they get a lot of light/sunlight the pitchers tend to be smaller and with less light/sunlight new pitchers that form are larger. I notice this both with artificial lighting and sunlight. You say yours gets about 8 hours of direct sunlight through the window, so would be interesting to see if less sunlight would make a difference in pitcher size on your plant. I suspect you may see faster or more growth as the growing season progresses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Ceph has grown substantially since I brought it in for the winter. However I'm still waiting to see the summer growth rate of my plant. I acclimated to natural sunlight too quickly when I first got it and definitely set it back. It didn't do squat for a couple months and just started making progress when I brought it in. It's under pretty intense led illumination so the upcoming transition should go much smoother.
    Last edited by SubRosa; 03-17-2015 at 11:45 PM.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ57 View Post
    My Cephalotus seem to slow down in growth during winter when the days are shorter and temps are cooler. I keep mine in an unheated garage window over winter with average nighttime temps being in the low 40s by mid/late winter though. Also I have noticed that when they get a lot of light/sunlight the pitchers tend to be smaller and with less light/sunlight new pitchers that form are larger. I notice this both with artificial lighting and sunlight. You say yours gets about 8 hours of direct sunlight through the window, so would be interesting to see if less sunlight would make a difference in pitcher size on your plant. I suspect you may see faster or more growth as the growing season progresses.
    I have heard that about sunlight levels. I thought about moving it, but I worry about it declining. I am probably too cautious with the plant, I think a lot of the "mystery death" stories involving CPs are probably because people mess with them too much. I pretty much let mine be, aside from (at most) monthly feeding of powdered bloodworms. I hope I will see a boost in growth. Is the creation of many non-carnivorous leaves on this plant usually a precursor to new pitchers during the growth season?

Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    My Ceph has grown substantially since I brought it in for the winter. However I'm still waiting to see the summer growth rate of my plant. I acclimated to natural sunlight too quickly when I first got it and definitely set it back. It didn't do squat for a couple months and just started making progress when I brought it in. It's under pretty intense led illumination so the upcoming transition should go much smoother.
    My Cephalotus was acclimated to natural light when I got it, at least from what I was told. How old is your Cephalotus, and what is the size of the largest pitchers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a small rooted plug when I got it June or so. Largest pitchers are about 1" or so.
    Last edited by SubRosa; 03-18-2015 at 12:55 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    It was a small rooted plug when I got it June or so. Largest pitchers are about 1" or so.
    plug? was that the double ribbed clone I had avaiable at the time?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast