What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Excessive pitcher growth?

I'm trying to figure out if this is normal. I mowed off last year's growth on my Dana's Delight and after a brief attempt to flower which was quickly chewed off by some sort of pest, it appears to be growing more than 20 pitchers while my other much larger plants produce far fewer. It's a pretty small plant which attempted to flower for the first time this year and had pitchers no taller than 5 inches last year. Is it just a particular quirk of Dana's Delight? Are there other cultivars that exhibit similar behavior?
x2UBZkF.jpg

It's just a vigorous plant and yours has plenty of growth points, good job!

It's just a vigorous plant and yours has plenty of growth points, good job!
Well I can't claim credit for it, I've only had it for a year. It was a mass of pitchers when I got it as well. All that growth just seems rather unusual to me for such a small plant.

Well it definitely likes you're conditions :)

It is called “hybrid vigor” and yours looks to be a normal healthy plant. Mine also produce multiple pitchers per growth point and that is normal for a mature plant of this hybrid.

It is called “hybrid vigor” and yours looks to be a normal healthy plant. Mine also produce multiple pitchers per growth point and that is normal for a mature plant of this hybrid.
I think multiple is an understatement. I couldn't even find the growth points when I was pruning it there were so many pitchers in the way :-D I have to say I've seen a lot of hybrids, but no others that grow quite this densely.

No such thing as too many pitchers! :p

'Daina's Delight' is an extremely vigorous hybrid, it's not uncommon for it to triple its number of growth points every year, and send up an inordinate number of pitchers.

I think multiple is an understatement. I couldn't even find the growth points when I was pruning it there were so many pitchers in the way :-D I have to say I've seen a lot of hybrids, but no others that grow quite this densely.

Sounds like you need a rubra subsp jonesii then, haha.

Back