What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A solar powered air pump - a trial

• Thread starter fredg
  • Start date
To parallel my trials of solar powered water pumps I thought I'd see how effective the solar powered air pumps are. So far it's impressive that the pump works albeit at a reduced rate even in heavy cloud so giving a much extended operating time as compared to the water pumps which really need direct sunlight to kick them off.

I would think that incorporating both solar pump types in an installation would greatly help due to the increased water movement and water oxygenation.

Nice video Fred, I look forward to updates, what are your thoughts on air. vs. water pump? They accomplish the same thing, but do you thing either would be better?

That is still to be determined David.

Pump No.2 is now in operation, the temporary (supplied) air stone is in a tray of 12 x 11 cm pond pots/baskets of Utricularia. This I intend change to smaller stones with air volume control valves which will be placed in the narrow spaces between the bottoms of the pots.

The trial with the air pumps has been a bit of a let down. The first pump is great and is still pumping away in daylight. Pump #2 lasted a week after installation so I replaced it and pump #3 lasted for about 3 hours. Both of these are en route to Amazon for full refunds. I have decided to go with water pump #4 for Darlingtonia tray #4 and the existing air pump will go into a Utricularia tray.
Considering that I can buy 3 water pumps for the (new increased) price of an air pump it's no contest.

The video update.

Back