User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 17

Thread: I've done a very bad thing

  1. #1
    I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    3,047
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    I've done a very bad thing

    Was careless this winter with some water on my Sars. Keep them too wet. Think I can stop waiting for something to happen.
    The Hurricane Creek White isn't that big of a deal, but killing my Adrain Slack.



    My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Northwest Florida
    Posts
    256
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ow. I hurt for you. I wasted quite of bit of money myself killing plants during my teenage years..... :shudder:
    Last edited by RyanG; 05-23-2015 at 10:21 PM.

  3. #3
    Chief Cat Behavior Specialist Knuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    North TX
    Posts
    432
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow those are expensive.

  4. #4
    theplantman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Posts
    973
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elgecko View Post
    Was careless this winter with some water on my Sars. Keep them too wet. Think I can stop waiting for something to happen.
    The Hurricane Creek White isn't that big of a deal, but killing my Adrain Slack.

    That really bites. Sorry.

    Just out of curiosity, what is your soil mix for them?

  5. #5
    RL7836's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    3,252
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve,
    This winter was the roughest my Sarrs have ever gone through (in my care). For some reason, it hit the purps hardest (30-50% lost) and right now the jury is out on my 'Adrian Slack' (it's still green but nothing is sprouting from any of the growth points). The 'Reptilian Rose' has sprouted but the only pitcher is severely deformed (aaargh).

    The only reason I wasn't constantly whining all winter was that Johnny looked to be having an even worse one. My Sarrs overwinter in the garage & regularly freeze solid in Jan/Feb most years. Given that, I didn't expect to see issues with them come spring - wrong.

    On a non-CP related note -- this winter was the 1st in 10-20 years where the snow stayed on the ground all winter (from the 1st snow). Typically, we have a few days of above-freezing temps that melt the stuff - not this year. About 15 years ago, we built a pergola over our deck to provide shade. One of the vines we planted was a wisteria that eventually covered the pergola & gave us hundreds of beautiful blooms drooping down from above each spring. With the constant snow cover all winter, apparently mice got hungry in their tunnels and girdled the wisteria trunk. We now have a huge mass of dead sticks over our deck -- aaaargh.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

    *** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

  6. #6
    Cthulhu138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    3,413
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did in fact have a worse winter. Worst on record actually. I'm happy to report though, there were no major losses out in the bogs and the plants are all happy and flowering. Business as usual.

  7. #7
    Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    7,506
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take it you've done the usual like checking the firmness of the rhizome. Or even cutting a notch or two to see if it is still white inside and perhaps starting a new growth point.

    At least for me S. 'Adrian Slack' is a very slow grower. It is in Tissue Culture propagation but production appears to be limited and the prices are still rather high IMO. So replacing it won't be as difficult as it would have been several years ago.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

  8. #8
    instigator thez_yo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    San Diego, USA
    Posts
    5,025
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elgecko View Post
    Was careless this winter with some water on my Sars. Keep them too wet. Think I can stop waiting for something to happen.
    The Hurricane Creek White isn't that big of a deal, but killing my Adrain Slack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    I take it you've done the usual like checking the firmness of the rhizome. Or even cutting a notch or two to see if it is still white inside and perhaps starting a new growth point.

    At least for me S. 'Adrian Slack' is a very slow grower. It is in Tissue Culture propagation but production appears to be limited and the prices are still rather high IMO. So replacing it won't be as difficult as it would have been several years ago.
    Well, if it's any consolation, here in San Diego I've had A.S. going on my third year. Maybe, just maybe, this year I might actually get a pitcher. Last year, 1 mis-shapen phyllodia was all I got. The year before, at least it had one small pitcher from when it was divided and given to me. I keep the pot pretty wet all year round and it seems to keep coming back, so I wouldn't give up hope yet. I'm not sure mine has grown yet this year, and the S.minors, flavas, purps, and Umlauftiana have all already put up pitchers.

    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Steve,
    This winter was the roughest my Sarrs have ever gone through (in my care). For some reason, it hit the purps hardest (30-50% lost) and right now the jury is out on my 'Adrian Slack' (it's still green but nothing is sprouting from any of the growth points). The 'Reptilian Rose' has sprouted but the only pitcher is severely deformed (aaargh).

    The only reason I wasn't constantly whining all winter was that Johnny looked to be having an even worse one. My Sarrs overwinter in the garage & regularly freeze solid in Jan/Feb most years. Given that, I didn't expect to see issues with them come spring - wrong.

    On a non-CP related note -- this winter was the 1st in 10-20 years where the snow stayed on the ground all winter (from the 1st snow). Typically, we have a few days of above-freezing temps that melt the stuff - not this year. About 15 years ago, we built a pergola over our deck to provide shade. One of the vines we planted was a wisteria that eventually covered the pergola & gave us hundreds of beautiful blooms drooping down from above each spring. With the constant snow cover all winter, apparently mice got hungry in their tunnels and girdled the wisteria trunk. We now have a huge mass of dead sticks over our deck -- aaaargh.
    Oh noes!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •