What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sarracenia help!

Hey everyone! Im a relatively new CP grower, i got my first plant 2 years ago and have been slowly adding to the collection via this amazing website and some other sources. But im having an issue with my pitcher plants, specifically my leucophylla. I dont remember seeing this last year(when I got them) The edges of the pitchers are browning a little and little spots in the coloration are forming,as well as parts of the lids disintegrating. Also, the throats are really dark on a lot of them(I dont know if this is common, like I said relatively knew and most of my knowledge just comes from observation/experience). The spots/browning is happening to i'd say 60% of the pitchers in the bog, the throats darkening is closer to 20%. I just was curious is anyone has any idea what is causing this? I was thinking heat maybe? I live in Florida, great environment for them and I keep them heavily watered in the bog. I have an overflow hole drilled about 4 inches below the surface. Pics below for reference plus one of the bog. Thanks for any info guys!
tfLyqmd.jpg

TWSGTq0.jpg

LrKacSM.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality, my phone didnt want to focus. This is one of the dark throats on a pitcher.
ur9511e.jpg

And here is the bog!
3YdIBSg.jpg

Last edited:
Nice bog. I'm going to guess those pitchers showing the browning are just old pitchers. How many hours of Sun does the bog get?

Hi darlantin
if by dark throats, you are referring to a browning of the lower part of the pitcher, this is perfectly normal on mid to late season pitchers and is the effect of too much prey above the digestive zone in the pitcher. The prey rots and the nutrients released 'burn' the walls of the pitcher turning them brown and eventually rotting. If you look inside the pitcher the prey will be at the same level as the browning. If so it is nothing to worry about.
As for the burning of the lids could it be sunlight on water on the plants?

Cheers
Steve

Tommyr - Full sun, probably 12-14 hours right now.

I did some more research and read about soil going anaerobic? I was wondering if maybe that might be the case, i do have a drain valve put in, but have never really drained the bog, i just kept it heavily saturated.

Tommyr - Full sun, probably 12-14 hours right now.

I did some more research and read about soil going anaerobic? I was wondering if maybe that might be the case, i do have a drain valve put in, but have never really drained the bog, i just kept it heavily saturated.

Oh, they're getting plenty of Sun then! As far as anaerobic goes I'm not sure but I doubt it.

I too doubt that the bogs are anaerobic, if they were the plants would have collapsed by now and they do go all at once and quickly as the oxygen is displaced by carbon dioxide which floods the soil. Your plants don't look like that at all fortunately, pitchers wilting is the first real sign.
Heavily saturated is good so long as there is enough sun to lower the water levels between waterings.

Cheers
Steve

Back