User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: C. 'Eden Black' x self doesn't show color?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMG too funny... But please kids do not attempt without parental guidance

It go boom 🙈

Cold fusion lighting is the way to go!

Nothing gets more passionate than a good ol' fashioned EB color thread
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 06-12-2015 at 05:39 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually find that, for those plants that can tolerate it, a substrate of ammonium nitrate prills and asphalt provide a source of the same nutrients directly to the roots, and increases the effects greatly.
    Last edited by SubRosa; 06-12-2015 at 05:46 AM.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    If I grow a plant in a complex gas mixture and it shows a unique characteristic then could I register it as a cultivar?

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk
    What I was getting at was how far can you go in a cultivar description with regards to what is needed in order to express the claimed unique characteristic C. 'Eden Black' x self doesn't show color?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone who thinks that differences in lighting don't affect the way plants look, both colorwise and morphologically, needs to perform a very simple experiment that I perform each year. Put your plants outside for the summer and bring them in before the cold gets them.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I was getting at was how far can you go in a cultivar description with regards to what is needed in order to express the claimed unique characteristic C. 'Eden Black' x self doesn't show color?

Personally I would draw the line at parameters not readily alterable under reasonable circumstances. Manipulation of light, moisture, and/or soil chemistry being required for a cultivar to express its uniqueness shouldn't disqualify it from holding cultivar status. Even a requirement of CO2 supplementation works for me, particularly in the case of aquatic plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there is a lot of confusion with regards to 'dark' Cephalotus plants. Some people expect to get the colouration, even if they don't get it with their other Cephalotus in the same conditions. In my experience, some clones appear to have the potential of becoming darker in the same growing conditions that would create a colour change in any other Cephalotus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    Here is a shot of one of the "delta" and "gamma" clones from 2013-14
    Thank you for the pictures. Very nice plants indeed.

In my experience, some clones appear to have the potential of becoming darker in the same growing conditions that would create a colour change in any other Cephalotus.
    I do agree. But does this make them worth for cultivars only because their color ?

Both of those are seed grown and selected from different batches...would these merit cultivar status...?

Pics deleted.
    Last edited by DND; 07-02-2015 at 11:11 AM.
    ...I can hear a blue bird sing, and hear a robin call but yellow, yellow daffodil I love you most of all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DND View Post
    Thank you for the pictures. Very nice plants indeed.

I do agree. But does this make them worth for cultivars only because their color ?

Both of those are seed grown and selected from different batches...would these merit cultivar status...?
    No, probably not on their own; but it was never simply an issue of their color; but also the generally larger size of that original Eden Black cultivar. The adult plants that I saw in the UK and Germany easily rivaled Hummer's Giants in terms of pitcher size, often exceeding 8 cm in height under optimal conditions. So, I suppose that larger pitcher size and a ******-load of anthocyanin is what it potentially takes . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast