What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

C. 'Eden Black' x self doesn't show color?

• Thread starter mass
  • Start date
What I was getting at was how far can you go in a cultivar description with regards to what is needed in order to express the claimed unique characteristic [emoji4]

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Personally I would draw the line at parameters not readily alterable under reasonable circumstances. Manipulation of light, moisture, and/or soil chemistry being required for a cultivar to express its uniqueness shouldn't disqualify it from holding cultivar status. Even a requirement of CO2 supplementation works for me, particularly in the case of aquatic plants.

I think there is a lot of confusion with regards to 'dark' Cephalotus plants. Some people expect to get the colouration, even if they don't get it with their other Cephalotus in the same conditions. In my experience, some clones appear to have the potential of becoming darker in the same growing conditions that would create a colour change in any other Cephalotus.

Here is a shot of one of the "delta" and "gamma" clones from 2013-14

Thank you for the pictures. Very nice plants indeed.

In my experience, some clones appear to have the potential of becoming darker in the same growing conditions that would create a colour change in any other Cephalotus.

I do agree. But does this make them worth for cultivars only because their color ?

Both of those are seed grown and selected from different batches...would these merit cultivar status...?

Pics deleted.

Last edited:
Thank you for the pictures. Very nice plants indeed.

I do agree. But does this make them worth for cultivars only because their color ?

Both of those are seed grown and selected from different batches...would these merit cultivar status...?

No, probably not on their own; but it was never simply an issue of their color; but also the generally larger size of that original Eden Black cultivar. The adult plants that I saw in the UK and Germany easily rivaled Hummer's Giants in terms of pitcher size, often exceeding 8 cm in height under optimal conditions. So, I suppose that larger pitcher size and a scheiß-load of anthocyanin is what it potentially takes . . .

I remember in one of last year's issues of CPN there was an article saying that for a Cephalotus cultivar designation to be valid a plant should show characteristics of the cultivar no matter what conditions it is grown under, ....

This is a patently absurd statement. The fact that this ridiculous claim somehow made it into an article would make me doubt the validity of anything that author could ever contrive or that publication care to print.

If this claim were actual fact, then there are no valid Cephalotus cultivars.

I'd have to agree with the foolishness of such a statement. There are many plants -- cp and non -- that only develop certain coloration when particular light levels and/or temperature are present. There are some Echeveria hybrids for example, which are prized for the carbuncles (warty-looking growths) which appear on their leaves: http://41.media.tumblr.com/141a740e59361caf849d1907c9b10ec0/tumblr_nf9vtbcjT71tl4x5io1_1280.jpg

However, in many cases, such growths only develop if the growing leaf is exposed to strong sunlight.

No, probably not on their own; but it was never simply an issue of their color; but also the generally larger size of that original Eden Black cultivar. The adult plants that I saw in the UK and Germany easily rivaled Hummer's Giants in terms of pitcher size, often exceeding 8 cm in height under optimal conditions. So, I suppose that larger pitcher size and a scheiß-load of anthocyanin is what it potentially takes . . .

... thought plants with unique pitcher shape are worth to get cultivar status than those with potential to get large size or dark color. It seems the unique shape of Cephalotus pitchers is stable in any and different conditions, rather than size or color of Cephalotus pitchers which are quite dependent from certain conditions and not stable... in many cases u can end up disappointed with your expectations.

I don't care about all the scientific mumbo jumbo.. David's plants are awesome regardless.

Repotted for a future awesome factor

Back