User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: C. 'Eden Black' x self doesn't show color?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

C. 'Eden Black' x self doesn't show color?

Who said Eden Black x self doesn't show color? And this pitcher just popped. Can't wait to see what it looks like in a couple weeks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some growers seem to forget what Stephen Morely (who developed the original cultivar) advised, in terms of lighting -- full sun and no shade, in order to get and maintain that dark coloration . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plant bellow is not Eden Black but u can see the color of the new growth...

Pics deleted.
    Last edited by DND; 07-02-2015 at 11:11 AM.
    ...I can hear a blue bird sing, and hear a robin call but yellow, yellow daffodil I love you most of all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DND wow very nice color!

Well done guys :-)
    Last edited by Maiden; 06-10-2015 at 11:08 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    Some growers seem to forget what Stephen Morely (who developed the original cultivar) advised, in terms of lighting -- full sun and no shade, in order to get and maintain that dark coloration . . .

The plants raised from seeds 'Eden Black' x self are strongly individuals and differ one from each other and there is absolutely no guarantee that they will get the expected color that their parent has.

If a plant has dark genes in it u can see that when it is still tiny tiny seedling with 2-3 juvenile pitchers and this seedling differ from the others, no matter where u grow it - shade position or sun. It shows dark characteristics...

Mass's plant is green and nothing else. If he has luck he will end up with red coloration or maybe better...
    ...I can hear a blue bird sing, and hear a robin call but yellow, yellow daffodil I love you most of all.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember in one of last year's issues of CPN there was an article saying that for a Cephalotus cultivar designation to be valid a plant should show characteristics of the cultivar no matter what conditions it is grown under, so I agree DND.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DND View Post
    The plants raised from seeds 'Eden Black' x self are strongly individuals and differ one from each other and there is absolutely no guarantee that they will get the expected color that their parent has.

If a plant has dark genes in it u can see that when it is still tiny tiny seedling with 2-3 juvenile pitchers and this seedling differ from the others, no matter where u grow it - shade position or sun.
    Eden Black plants that I have personally seen, both here and in the UK -- adults and small divisions -- have only achieved their darkest coloration under direct sunlight (Morely mentioned as much, in terms of its cultural requirements); and, of course, those grown from the selfed seed will vary as any seed grown plant varies.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanukimo View Post
    I remember in one of last year's issues of CPN there was an article saying that for a Cephalotus cultivar designation to be valid a plant should show characteristics of the cultivar no matter what conditions it is grown under, so I agree DND.
    Once again, it is not the cultivar being grown, but selfed seed; and regardless of what an article in the CPN has to say, the way a given plant is cultivated; how its cultural requirements are met or not met, will absolutely affect its appearance, health, and size. It is patently absurd to think otherwise, since I have seen stunted Cephalotus grown through sheer cultural ineptitude, that -- when given proper care -- went on to flourish. Hummer's Giant plants grown under direct sun almost never reach their large pitcher size potential, though are brightly colored; while those grown in partial shade, in my experience, do . . .
    Last edited by BigBella; 06-11-2015 at 12:14 AM.
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Colour expression is a function of cultivation conditions in Cephalotus in my experience. This plant was growing under grow lights ~1 month ago and was green but has taken on this colour since being placed outside.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast