What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus ' Dudley Watts ' or Cephalotus " Double Ribbed" ? Which one?

It was a Dudley Watts plant, from a division.

Would you be able to trace back your plant to the original Cephalotus 'Dudley Watts' ?

I wonder if the material that was sent to you regarding what u have said on ebay in your listing can be traced back to the original plant? There are so many fake clones including 'Dudley Watts' even in Europe where I live, so if you can't trace it back to the original plant then there is absolutely no assurance that it is genuine and as I said already yours looks different...

Would you be able to trace back your plant to the original Cephalotus 'Dudley Watts' ?

I wonder if the material that was sent to you regarding what u have said on ebay in your listing can be traced back to the original plant? There are so many fake clones including 'Dudley Watts' even in Europe where I live, so if you can't trace it back to the original plant then there is absolutely no assurance that it is genuine and as I said already yours looks different...

I have every confidence that it is genuine. The cultures arose from three separate Watts parent plants, from a Sheffield grower, who already had Morely's Eden Black and more Cephalotus than I have even seen in the wild. The appearance in that old photo is a bit unusual, since it was a rooted division that had been treated with a trio of plant hormones; and I was honestly surprised that it even flowered that year . . .

Im still trying to figure out why it's called a "double" i don't really see much of anything that looks double ribbed to me, or maybe im not looking at it right, is it the leaves pr the pitchers perisome or the flap running down the front thats supposed to be doubled in apperence? Im blonde work with me here lol

Im still trying to figure out why it's called a "double" i don't really see much of anything that looks double ribbed to me, or maybe im not looking at it right, is it the leaves pr the pitchers perisome or the flap running down the front thats supposed to be doubled in apperence? Im blonde work with me here lol

There were other photos on that old thread what made more sense. The lateral ribs doubled back upon themselves to varying degrees, into a "J" -- some more pronounced than others . . .

Last edited:
Big Bella, please stop, really stop. No need more...

In CPUK you call this plant Cephalotus "Double Ribbed"

On eBay you call the same plant Cephalotus 'Dudley Watts'

Here in Terraforums you call again the same plant cephalotus "Giant" http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php/117395-Cephalotus-Stratification

Please, make a final decision and choose just one name.... don't really want to see the same plant labeled from you as "Big Boy" somewhere else

Never had the "Big Boy" perform much for me; sort of a let down really. Dudley Watts was a "giant" Cephalotus in my estimation, with most of its pitchers over 6 cm at maturity. This is a US site; and, at that time, the name, Dudley Watts, meant something only to a very small handful of people.

Hell, I recently had to explain to someone who was born in the oughts, who Adrian Slack is or was. You're a frustrated hobbyist; get a f**king grip . . .

Last edited:
Are you sure you had Big Boy?

Are you sure you had Big Boy?

Sadly, I had the plant for just over a year; and it seemed more prone to fungal issues than its neighbors. It succumbed and I never replaced it . . .

With that account I have to doubt that you had one.

With that account I have to doubt that you had one.

I don't know; but I received it from a respected grower in New England, whose veracity I never doubted. Plants die; what are you going' to do?

DND has a Double Ribbed plant traceable to a respected grower in California too :-O

DND has a Double Ribbed plant traceable to a respected grower in California too :-O

Wow, it's the Algonquin Round Table revisited! Keep in mind that the plant was never marketed and that that trait was -- again -- temporary in the long run. The sites were and are for hobbyists; personality deficients; and shut-ins; and I wasn't submitting a paper for peer review. Most of my Cephalotus came from that aforementioned grower; that, or the late lamented Dennis Hastings, who was beyond reproach . . .

Last edited:
As much as I love Cephalotus, I have just learned to take the cultivar names with a grain of salt. There are simply too many variables to guarantee each Cephalotus will act exactly the same from one grower to the next. The species seems rather stubborn on sticking to its original state rather than its mutation crazed cousin Dionaea

The only clone I have that has lived up to it's actual description is my Squat. Which as a side note that thing can surprisingly produce some large pitchers. It is awesome seeing a huge "smashed" pitcher. My "Double Ribbed" is finally reestablishing itself after I accidentally hit the top of the plant and ripped off the majority of its roots. Don't worry there were significant profanities I threw at myself when it happened. I have still yet to see any of the features but am still crossing my fingers they come out at some point.

This is the problem. You say 'the plant' yet you have posted the photo on fora under three different names. But of course they're all mistakes in the middle of the night?

Okay i get it their is conflicting evidence and some reason to be suspicious - but i don't like where this is going. It reminds me of the old site i was on. Let's all just figure out the plants correct i.d to leave it at that or just take it with a grain of salt (and maybe some vodka) i hate to see this community to become unfriendly over a simple mistake on bigbellas part or a misrepresentation leading to the questions of someones charecter. How can we solve this matter?
Do you want him to specify his questionable identification on his ebay ad to give warning to potential buyers or have him remove the post? Because i find people will buy anything for the right price, just it being a ceph is enough to cause bidders to say "shut up and take my money!"

Hahahahaha just saw you renamed the clone.

Jesus christ "my left nut" is causing a big deal

Back