User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus ' Dudley Watts ' or Cephalotus " Double Ribbed" ? Which one?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg View Post
    I agree with that sentiment.
    However, there's always a however isn't there, to allow that mistake to be in circulation for several years without correction is a little naughty.
    Again, mea culpa. I seldom post anything there anymore; CPUK is seriously moribund; and I completely forgot about a six year old post. No one has contacted me about it since 2010. I also forgot were I laid my keys this morning.

In response to a comment about Bob Ziemer's CP Photofinder, lifting and posting photos without any permission or knowledge of the photographer is inherently risky, for any number of reasons. The "double-ribbed" entry is neither the first; only; or last error that I have seen there; and I was never contacted to verify a damn thing . . .
    Last edited by BigBella; 06-25-2015 at 12:47 PM.
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woah! This got a little out of hand here..

Sooo my question is, is this a picture of a dudley or a double rib and did it really become a cultivar on ur statement and is that your plant on ebay that you are selling?

And i wouldn't blame you for it if it was a honest mistake on your part, but if you knew it would revert then im at a loss as to why you would say its something its not. I mean allot of vft cultivars revert back too normal traps after some time like biohazard and whatnot - but i understand things happen. But im just confused about the whole Post of this plant

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KATastrophe View Post
    Woah! This got a little out of hand here..

Sooo my question is, is this a picture of a dudley or a double rib and did it really become a cultivar on ur statement and is that your plant on ebay that you are selling?

And i wouldn't blame you for it if it was a honest mistake on your part, but if you knew it would revert then im at a loss as to why you would say its something its not. I mean allot of vft cultivars revert back too normal traps after some time like biohazard and whatnot - but i understand things happen. But im just confused about the whole Post of this plant
    It was a Dudley Watts plant, from a division. Back in 2006-07 and afterwards, I was making my own rooting powders and keiki pastes with all manner of plant growth regulators. Most of the resulting divisions produced double-ribs for almost three years; but I never marketed it as a specific cultivar and only gave them away. It was just a large, vigorous Cephalotus and most US growers that I knew, at the time, were only dimly aware of Dudley Watts. It would be five years before it became a cultivar; and I was chagrined not to have been aware of that . . .
    Last edited by BigBella; 06-25-2015 at 01:02 PM.
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Confusing... So is this Stephen Morley's 'Dudley Watts'?

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    It was a Dudley Watts plant, from a division.
    Would you be able to trace back your plant to the original Cephalotus 'Dudley Watts' ?

I wonder if the material that was sent to you regarding what u have said on ebay in your listing can be traced back to the original plant? There are so many fake clones including 'Dudley Watts' even in Europe where I live, so if you can't trace it back to the original plant then there is absolutely no assurance that it is genuine and as I said already yours looks different...
    ...I can hear a blue bird sing, and hear a robin call but yellow, yellow daffodil I love you most of all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DND View Post
    Would you be able to trace back your plant to the original Cephalotus 'Dudley Watts' ?

I wonder if the material that was sent to you regarding what u have said on ebay in your listing can be traced back to the original plant? There are so many fake clones including 'Dudley Watts' even in Europe where I live, so if you can't trace it back to the original plant then there is absolutely no assurance that it is genuine and as I said already yours looks different...
    I have every confidence that it is genuine. The cultures arose from three separate Watts parent plants, from a Sheffield grower, who already had Morely's Eden Black and more Cephalotus than I have even seen in the wild. The appearance in that old photo is a bit unusual, since it was a rooted division that had been treated with a trio of plant hormones; and I was honestly surprised that it even flowered that year . . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im still trying to figure out why it's called a "double" i don't really see much of anything that looks double ribbed to me, or maybe im not looking at it right, is it the leaves pr the pitchers perisome or the flap running down the front thats supposed to be doubled in apperence? Im blonde work with me here lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KATastrophe View Post
    Im still trying to figure out why it's called a "double" i don't really see much of anything that looks double ribbed to me, or maybe im not looking at it right, is it the leaves pr the pitchers perisome or the flap running down the front thats supposed to be doubled in apperence? Im blonde work with me here lol
    There were other photos on that old thread what made more sense. The lateral ribs doubled back upon themselves to varying degrees, into a "J" -- some more pronounced than others . . .
    Last edited by BigBella; 06-25-2015 at 01:33 PM.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast