User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus ' Dudley Watts ' or Cephalotus " Double Ribbed" ? Which one?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    The Emu point has always grown very well for me. Anyway here is the quote about it, pulled from a few threads/boards.

Cephalotus follicularis location Emu Point, Albany AU (Also know as Emu Point and/or Emu Point Giant)
    I have a quick question for you RSS as you have brought up Enu Point. It is a location plant as are all others, they have to come from somewhere, but do you know from what location? To reiterate what has been said by a reliable Australian source and veteran of many Cephalotus field trips. There are no Cephalotus at Emu Point.
    Last edited by fredg; 06-27-2015 at 03:31 AM.
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The info provided above is all I was able to find out about it, I did not collect the plant and/or seeds so I have no first hand knowledge and can only pass along what I have been told and by who.

It should be labeled as a location plant.

Could this be a case of there are no Ceph at Emu Point today but 30 years ago there where?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And 5m of google searching gives us this, gotta love the internet.

I know the plant I have labeled as Emu Point is special and is in no way typical, it would take me 1-6 months to re-id it. The only problem is that the 'Big Boy' I have is EXACTLY like the Emu Point and I have to wonder if someone wasn't trying to pull a fast one by labeling the EP as a BB for some quick $$/trades.

"The plants originated from rhizomes from SW Australia -- and were arbitrarily tagged "Emu Point" for the area outside of a park where they had collected almost ten years ago. The plants were characterized by stout, dark pitchers, often exceeding 6.4 cm and were distributed and traded among friends long ago. Whether those plants are those being offered, I have no way of knowing; nor am I involved in any way with their sale. To date there are only two recognized cultivars: "Hummer's Giant" and "Eden Black" . . . "

Source thread http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...howtopic=44675

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol don't we all love the internet.
    Now unfortunately to my knowledge "Big Boy" was in cultivation long before "Emu Point". I believe "Big Boy" was the first of the so called giants in cultivation outside Australia, it precedes 'Hummer's Giant' by several years. I have seen speculative reports that "German Giant" may have been in cultivation also in the early 1980's but as yet I have not seen a definite confirmed year. If "Big Boy" and "Emu Point" are the same then that would mean that someone has pulled a fast one and taken a "Big Boy" and renamed it "Emu Point" which would scotch the location part at a stroke. Or perhaps the provenance of the compared "Big Boy" was not all it should have been which is the more likely scenario.

Edit Re-reading your first reply, it says the rhizomes of "Emu Point" were collected almost ten years before that posting. 'Eden Black' wasn't registered until 2007 and other cultivars were registered in 2011 so not having a posting date to work on that would mean collection was between 1997 and 2001, considerably less than 30 years.
    Last edited by fredg; 06-27-2015 at 08:20 AM.
    Fred

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It should be labeled as a location plant.

Could this be a case of there are no Ceph at Emu Point today but 30 years ago there where?
    Wild Cephalotus population in Emu Point doesn't grow. Same story is with so called Cephalotus Walpole - in this location there also aren't and they have never grown there. The correct location is Coal Mine Beach.... both locations Emu Point and Walpole were given with purpose from Allen Lowrie and Phill Mann to protect the real locations from poachers of the wild growing Cephalotus...

So, Fred is quite right in his arguments.
    ...I can hear a blue bird sing, and hear a robin call but yellow, yellow daffodil I love you most of all.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just love the idea of giving Cephalotus plants location names that are not Cephalotus sites. A hint of Lunacy perhaps? Or will Lunacy be the next cultivar?
    Fred

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only problem is that the 'Big Boy' I have is EXACTLY like the Emu Point
    Bellow is Cephalotus "Big Boy" with trace back to the originator Fred Green.

Surely I can say that Cephalotus "Big Boy " has nothing in common with so called "Emu Point"

http://cpphotofinder.com/cephalotus-emu-point-8832.html
    ...I can hear a blue bird sing, and hear a robin call but yellow, yellow daffodil I love you most of all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The seed and cuttings for those plants came from a grower in Western Australia; were labeled as such by him; so too, some from Coal Mine Beach. I have no reason to question him or his generosity towards me over the years.

As an aside, I received a batch of N. edwardsiana seed some time ago; were claimed to have been from Marai Parai; and another anonymous troll, claimed that no such population existed. It turns out that they are and were thriving there.

I'll put my money on the botanists and field biologists, over the basement dwellers in dignity pants any day . . .
    Last edited by BigBella; 06-27-2015 at 10:07 AM.
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast