What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus ' Dudley Watts ' or Cephalotus " Double Ribbed" ? Which one?

Passing trough eBay I found this auction: *link removed*

CFDR4.jpg

" This is the first, limited release of Cephalotus follicularis "Dudley Watts," micro-propagated, or "tissue-cultured" from 2012-13 "vegetative" leaf and rhizome tissue -- obtained from plants in the EU and the UK (see additional photos). "

Ok that's fine but looking exactly the additional pics I'm getting confused what are u bidding for since one of the pics match so called C. " Double Ribbed"

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=31177&page=1

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Pretty colors but when i read info that isnt correct or other ppl raise red flags about an item i wouldn't think about laying down money, i really hope someone doesn't get scammed on this plant ive seen some cephs on ebay go for hundreds that's allot to spend on something from someone who didn't know it's a registered cultivar

And it was registered as a cultivar 21/1/2014. If the seller can't get basic facts correct, why would you trust them?

It looks to me they're saying when the vegetative material was obtained. Stephen has called the plant Dudley Watts for years and it was distributed.

That doesn't mean to say I'd be happy to bid on a plant where someone else's photo/s has/have been utilised.

Passing trough eBay I found this auction:

" This is the first, limited release of Cephalotus follicularis "Dudley Watts," micro-propagated, or "tissue-cultured" from 2012-13 "vegetative" leaf and rhizome tissue -- obtained from plants in the EU and the UK (see additional photos). "

Ok that's fine but looking exactly the additional pics I'm getting confused what are u bidding for since one of the pics match so called C. " Double Ribbed"

Regardless of the source of that photo, that so-called "double-ribbed" was indeed an eight or nine year old Dudley Watts, which would, on occasion, throw out aberrant leaves, like most every plant that I own. It had been mine and was obtained from a grower from Sheffield in the UK . . .

Last edited:
Regardless of the source of that photo, that so-called "double-ribbed" was indeed an eight or nine year old Dudley Watts, which would, on occasion, throw out aberrant leaves, like most every plant that I own. It had been mine and was obtained from a grower from Sheffield in the UK . . .

I'm still getting confused concerning this thread in CPUK: http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=31177

Didn't you called this plant " Cephalotus follicularis "Double-Ribbed" -- Spring 2009 " ?

Aren't you the seller on eBay "deacon831" and "loligo1964" in CPUK and on the other forums Big Bella?

I'm still getting confused concerning this thread in CPUK: http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=31177

Didn't you called this plant " Cephalotus follicularis "Double-Ribbed" -- Spring 2009 " ?

Aren't you the seller on eBay "deacon831" and "loligo1964" in CPUK and on the other forums Big Bella?

Back in 2007-08, I took a number of divisions from a large mother plant of "Dudley Watts" and distributed more than a few of them to friends and fellow growers. Around the time that thread was first written, I had about fifteen plants that were beginning to flower, both the Watts and many other varieties, some that had been grown from seed, in the late nineties. It was simply an error on my part; and I should have clarified that that particular plant in the thread was originally a rhizomal division and not one of the seed grown plants.

There had been a number of other Cephalotus, some of which were exhibiting that same or similar traits, that were originally going to be part of that thread, that weren't posted, due to my laziness; time constraints, in transferring photos from a desktop to Photobucket; and then providing links, six years ago . . .

For whatever reason -- perhaps the rooting hormones, 1-NAA and IBA -- more than a third of those Watts plants -- divisions-- began producing aberrant leaves, everything from the double-ribbed appearance to very coarse peristomes with fewer teeth than before. Some of the plants maintained the double-ribbed appearance for upwards of three years or so, then reverted back to normal.

Back in 2009, the characteristic seemed consistent enough to write a thread. It was never updated, for good reason . . .

Last edited:
Nothing personal, but do you have any idea what you have done during these years?

- You misled a lot people...however, Bob Ziemer should remove your pics of so called Cephalotus "Double Ribbed" from CARNIVOROUS PLANT PHOTOFINDER as not valid...

How can people trust you from now on?

If they have to steal other peoples pictures most likely the item is a fraud also.

And it was registered as a cultivar 21/1/2014. If the seller can't get basic facts correct, why would you trust them?

Cultivar Description of Cephalotus 'Dudley Watts'
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cultivars/description/Dudley_Watts_cultivar_web.pdf

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cultivars/CulitivardbDetail.php?cp_id=6361

I didn't realize that it had gained cultivar status. I missed the memo . . .

Nothing personal, but do you have any idea what you have done during these years?

- You misled a lot people...however, Bob Ziemer should remove your pics of so called Cephalotus "Double Ribbed" from CARNIVOROUS PLANT PHOTOFINDER as not valid...

How can people trust you from now on?

Christ on a cracker, DND, it was a two-word error, in the middle of the night, six years ago; and that trait lasted longer than most hobbyists keep these plants alive!

Mea culpa; mea f**king maxima culpa . . .

Last edited:
How should I call my plant Cephalotus "Double Ribbed" or Cephalotus 'Dudley Watts' ???

However, it doesn't suit to any of them because it is traceable to you as so called Cephalotus "Double Ribbed " but at the same time is quite different to Cephalotus 'Dudley Watts' from Stephen Morley?

11209447_841553139215594_1264424407566715584_n_zpsgypctkhm.jpg

Last edited:
Oooooops

DND, you can call your plant, "my left nut" if you so desire; and I have no way of knowing whether your plant was traceable to me, since I was unaware that it could have been distributed to Eastern Europe. I know that I didn't send anything but Cephalotus seeds overseas back then.

In the years since 2009, I have seen that double-ribbed phenomena occur in my Hummer's Giants; Dudley Watts; German Giants; Eden Black x Self; and others, on occasion. It turned out to be an inconsistent trait, and occurred in both divisions and in some tissue cultured plants as well. Back then -- six years ago -- it was the only time I had witnessed it with any consistency.

Of course, there can never be any errors in botany; never a clunky name change -- robcantleyii; never a reclassification; just doesn't happen . . .

Last edited:
If the listing is BigBella's then the photos are his. If BigBella vouches for the provenance of the plant material then you can be assured it is what he says it is. The term "seed grown" on the other thread threw me off too.

Shame on you, respected Cephalotus grower for not keeping current on cultivar statuses.

Anyone can make mistakes. :p

Anyone can make mistakes. :p

I agree with that sentiment.
However, there's always a however isn't there, to allow that mistake to be in circulation for several years without correction is a little naughty.

I agree with that sentiment.
However, there's always a however isn't there, to allow that mistake to be in circulation for several years without correction is a little naughty.

Again, mea culpa. I seldom post anything there anymore; CPUK is seriously moribund; and I completely forgot about a six year old post. No one has contacted me about it since 2010. I also forgot were I laid my keys this morning.

In response to a comment about Bob Ziemer's CP Photofinder, lifting and posting photos without any permission or knowledge of the photographer is inherently risky, for any number of reasons. The "double-ribbed" entry is neither the first; only; or last error that I have seen there; and I was never contacted to verify a damn thing . . .

Last edited:
Woah! This got a little out of hand here..

Sooo my question is, is this a picture of a dudley or a double rib and did it really become a cultivar on ur statement and is that your plant on ebay that you are selling?

And i wouldn't blame you for it if it was a honest mistake on your part, but if you knew it would revert then im at a loss as to why you would say its something its not. I mean allot of vft cultivars revert back too normal traps after some time like biohazard and whatnot - but i understand things happen. But im just confused about the whole Post of this plant

Woah! This got a little out of hand here..

Sooo my question is, is this a picture of a dudley or a double rib and did it really become a cultivar on ur statement and is that your plant on ebay that you are selling?

And i wouldn't blame you for it if it was a honest mistake on your part, but if you knew it would revert then im at a loss as to why you would say its something its not. I mean allot of vft cultivars revert back too normal traps after some time like biohazard and whatnot - but i understand things happen. But im just confused about the whole Post of this plant

It was a Dudley Watts plant, from a division. Back in 2006-07 and afterwards, I was making my own rooting powders and keiki pastes with all manner of plant growth regulators. Most of the resulting divisions produced double-ribs for almost three years; but I never marketed it as a specific cultivar and only gave them away. It was just a large, vigorous Cephalotus and most US growers that I knew, at the time, were only dimly aware of Dudley Watts. It would be five years before it became a cultivar; and I was chagrined not to have been aware of that . . .

Last edited:
Confusing... So is this Stephen Morley's 'Dudley Watts'?

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

Back