Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is my Cephalotus drying out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh see the roots now.. I say trim off the dead ones
    Snip off dead pitchers leave the stalk hopefully its still healthy. Then pot it up in a mix of peat/perlite and sand prefrably sand with some choped up pieces of LF shpagnum moss and pot it up with a top dressing of live sphagnum and top water once a week (try with one plant)
    And try something else with the other if u really want to experiment .. But i think it can be saved as long as the stalk the pitchers grow off of is still green and healthy looking

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may not be all dead. I would say one possibility is a sudden change in humidity or something. Happened on my Cephalotus a while back. It just dried up all of its pitchers in a few weeks time. BUT, after a few weeks it started growing again, little green here and there so don't give up yet!

I see you have it in a terrarium, I have found that it's not the best place. Too humid and too little air movement and fresh air. The cephs that dried up all the pitchers were in a similar terrarium you have. Now they are in a separate enclosure with good air flow and humidity not over 60 % most of the time.
    Looking for N. Campanulata hybrids. Also would like to grow some nepenthes from seed. Growlist/pic thread: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Pete-s-plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Cephalotus is in a 25/75 peat/sand mix. I have not had any problems with the plant, other than the fact that mine does not increase in size much. I have a lot of new growth, old pitchers are replaced before they die off, and the diameter has doubled in one year. I still hope it will grow larger pitchers someday. I may re-pot mine into a larger container. The plant grows on a sunny windowsill and receives a thorough watering once a week. I also have an S. rosea and three types of D. capensis that grow next to its pot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I regularly top water. But, I don't keep them in a covered terrarium. I pot them in a fast draining sand/peat or sand/peat/orchid bark mix, and grow them on an open shelf.

Is my Cephalotus drying out?-ceph-water-20150705-jpg
    Last edited by Alvin 415; 07-07-2015 at 02:04 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "Do Not Get Water on The Crown" myth is baloney. If you rot a Cephalotus, it's because there are much bigger problems than the occasional wetting of the foliage. Do your research, don't go the "cultivation by hearsay and anecdote" route.
    http://www.foxoles.dsl.pipex.com/#

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Idk i get the pitchers wet and they turn brown and shrivle up! Im sure its different for different people depending on where they are and their temps..etc

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SOOOOOO, should i put my other ceph in the terraium then?

cause the website says "but even better is growing under a bell jar or in a terrarium, as long as they are not in full sun where the temperature could rise to extremes".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think u should snip off the dead stuff and put it back in yr terrarium.. Top water for a while but don't wet the actual plant just close enough to get the roots and have the air circulate where the roots are that's my take on it. Maybe someone else has better advice?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast