What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is my Cephalotus drying out?

The "Do Not Get Water on The Crown" myth is baloney. If you rot a Cephalotus, it's because there are much bigger problems than the occasional wetting of the foliage. Do your research, don't go the "cultivation by hearsay and anecdote" route.
http://www.foxoles.dsl.pipex.com/#

Idk i get the pitchers wet and they turn brown and shrivle up! Im sure its different for different people depending on where they are and their temps..etc

SOOOOOO, should i put my other ceph in the terraium then?

cause the website says "but even better is growing under a bell jar or in a terrarium, as long as they are not in full sun where the temperature could rise to extremes".

I think u should snip off the dead stuff and put it back in yr terrarium.. Top water for a while but don't wet the actual plant just close enough to get the roots and have the air circulate where the roots are :) that's my take on it. Maybe someone else has better advice?

I would chop them into root cuttings, and turn 2 plants into 6.

The "Do Not Get Water on The Crown" myth is baloney. If you rot a Cephalotus, it's because there are much bigger problems than the occasional wetting of the foliage. Do your research, don't go the "cultivation by hearsay and anecdote" route.
http://www.foxoles.dsl.pipex.com/#

I agree completely. One of my core horticultural philosophies is that stressed plants are prone to diseases and pests. 99% of plants have enough natural defenses to overcome attacks from other organisms. It's whether or not we realize how to identify and reduce stress or induce defenses in a cultural way.

Last edited:
I have a very large collection of cephalotus. Growing them in environments ranging from terrariums to full outside exposure. By far terrariums are the most problematic way to grow them. Want a healthy plant? Take them out of an inconsistent environment like a small terrarium.

Thanks everyone for you valuable information. Really appreciate them.

Back