What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Outdoor Heliamphora Setup

SubRosa

BS Bulldozer
As requested here's a couple of pics of my setup for my lone Heliamphora, a heterodoxa x minor. I keep it outside to take advantage of the sun, and to keep it cool in our steamy summer temps I float it in a 180 gal aquarium I use as a water garden. Water temps generally run in the high 70s/low 80s, and the water is 100% rainwater. When I remember I take it out at night to take advantage of lower temps. However the plant has no direct contact with the water it's floating in. The pot sits in a small, watertight plastic terrarium. I put some aquarium gravel in for ballast and filled the terrarium the rest of the way with moist sphagnum. In theory this provides extra humidity and cooling through evaporation. The plant has grown by leaps and bounds since I got it (thanks again Johnny!), particularly since I started adding an Osmocote pellet to every other pitcher that opens.

Attachments

• IMG_20150717_064054.jpg
    IMG_20150717_064054.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20150716_084143.jpg
    IMG_20150716_084143.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 104
Very creative and interesting solution/setup SubRosa, it seems your heli enjoys it

Very creative and interesting solution/setup SubRosa, it seems your heli enjoys it

Thank you! Now to get a Darlingtonia to try.......

Back