User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darlingtonia for Complete Beginner?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Darlingtonia for Complete Beginner?

Does Anyone Know How To Grow A Darlingtonia as I'm Fairly New To CarnivorousPlants!
    I Recived The Darlingtonia The other Day It wasn't in It's Soil It's got Not Many Roots Eather What Do I Do Iv Also got Sarracenia & Droseras Please Help
    Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use the search function and search on "Darlingtonia" or "Cobra".

Check out resources such as:
    http://www.carnivorousplants.org/howto/
    http://www.sarracenia.com/faq.html

Specific to Darlingtonia:
    http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq5160.html
    http://www.carnivorousplants.org/how...rlingtonia.php

An idea of where you live and possible growing areas and conditions would help.

One should do a little research first before acquiring new plants or animals but then there are always the unplanned for gifts. So do some reading and if you have specific questions post them here.

Welcome to TerraForums.
    Last edited by Not a Number; 08-20-2015 at 04:23 AM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In short, the plant's roots and rhizome need to be cool at all times and have good gas exchange, which means a loose compost, such as live sphagnum and pumice. My long term successes always involved Darlingtonia being grown in unglazed terra cotta pots -- especially those intended for use with orchids, with the enlarged drainage "slots" -- in shallow trays of cool RO or distilled water. Cool nights are also almost a necessity . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry too much about how you treat the plant, they're tougher than most people think. You should be able to grow it just like a Sarracenia as long as the plant (especially the roots) don't stay hot for extended periods of time. A good temperature drop after a hot day should be enough. I have one in a tiny plastic pot right now and several weeks straight of 90+F days this summer in full sun didn't phase the plant at all. When you have more experience you can experiment with different pot types and soil mixes to see if something else works better for you in your climate.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I killed several of them, initially. I had the most success, finally, when I had them in a window planter, where there was decent enough media depth, and a lot of room lateral expansion. Once established, for the few days of 90 heat they experienced, they came through it just fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking of adding a darlingtonia when my bog garden gets too small for the existing plants. Would the larger size of pot allow it to keep cooler?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plant in live sphagnum moss, keep very wet, job done.
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    In short, the plant's roots and rhizome need to be cool at all times and have good gas exchange, which means a loose compost, such as live sphagnum and pumice. My long term successes always involved Darlingtonia being grown in unglazed terra cotta pots -- especially those intended for use with orchids, with the enlarged drainage "slots" -- in shallow trays of cool RO or distilled water. Cool nights are also almost a necessity . . .
    have some in both plastic and unglazed terracotta and live sphagnum. Growing well side by side in a tray. But I dont have the same extremes of temperature as you guys do....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast