Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darlingtonia germination

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Darlingtonia germination

Hello,

Does anybody have a good method of germinating Darlingtonia seeds? This will be my second time after 0% the first time. I cold stratified for 3 weeks and sowed in peat/perlite mix under mist last time.

This time will be stratified for 4 weeks and then in a tray under lights (I have since left the job where I had greenhouse / mist access)

I do not live in a good region for these plants (Central VA), but I like a good challenge.

Any thoughts / tips?

Thanks

Jay

For the love of Science! Dragoness's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think Virginia would be mild enough to grow darlingtonia outside.... I could be wrong.
    Jen- My Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...00#post1154900
    "Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar."
    -Bradley Miller-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like this last time I sowed Darlingtonia (my second try also. First try I only got one sprout out of 20 or so seed), I cold stratified for 5 weeks, in the pots they were going to germinate in, (50/50 peat/sand) then put them directly into a terrarium that maintained itself around 70 F and 70-80% RH during the day when the lights were on. Ended up getting a couple dozen sprouts this time.

You mentioned a tray and lights, so I'm guess you mean they'll be open to the air in your house, or does the tray have a plastic lid or something to hold in humidity?

I seem to recall reading that the longer you stratify them, the better chance of germination you have, up to a certain point, which was either 5-6 weeks, after which no change was noted.

Other than that, I'd just cross your fingers and hope for the best. Just try to keep them on the warm side with Winter coming on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoness View Post
    I would think Virginia would be mild enough to grow darlingtonia outside.... I could be wrong.
    VA winters are nowhere near as bad as Michigan's, but it's still too cold to grow CP's outdoors year round unless they're in ground and mulched. You certainly wouldn't be trying to germinate things out of season here.
    Last edited by Zath; 09-20-2015 at 07:01 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with Darlingtonia here in VA is the heat in the summer.

Yes, they will be in the open air in the house. I should be able to provide enough humidity for them….at least I think

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ensure you have fresh seeds, damp straitfy for four- six weeks, sow on top of peat/perlite mix, add bottom heat if possible to maintain 20C plus, seeds will germinate within six weeks. If not dont despair leave moist in pot till next year.
    Cheers
    Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am gathering that the Darlingtonia seed from the ICPS is bad. We'll see what happens, but I don't have much hope. Let you know in 12 weeks!

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Four week cold, damp stratification on a paper towel or chopped live Sphagnum. Sown onto chopped long fiber sphagnum in cups or pots kept covered with plastic wrap or sealed in bags. Germination in 11 days is typical what I get. Winter/spring room temperatures say 65-75F. 85% or better germination rates. Seeds from various sources - field collected from Gasquet, CA and Sierra Nevada sites, ICPS seedbank, or plants in my own cultivation. I've never been able to get them to germinate without stratification but it is possible to germinate without stratification.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JayAustin View Post
    I am gathering that the Darlingtonia seed from the ICPS is bad. We'll see what happens, but I don't have much hope. Let you know in 12 weeks!
    Not sure where you gathered that. My current lot is Darlingtonia (Gasquet County) from the ICPS and I had great germination rates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast