Informational! Informational!:  2
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cephalotus Powdery Mildew

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody is suggesting that "real" fungicides are to be regarded as safer alternatives to "home remedy" style chemicals like Sulphur, but the fact is that when people (most of the intelligent people I know, anyways) understand that the chemical poses some handling and/or environmental risk, they will treat the material with the greatest respect because they know that mishandling it will have consequences, and so it is far less likely to be misused.

Even Hydrogen Peroxide makes it into the list of "hazardous chemicals", you know.

Will gaseous Sulphur work as a treatment for Powdery Mildew? Undoubtedly, yes. Is there any risk involved in generating and using vaporized Sulphur within the confines of ones home environment? Absolutely. It would be an error of judgement to think vaporized Sulphur posed no threat to the user, just as the mishandling of Propiconazole or most any other chemical engineered for gardening purposes would. Understand the materials you are using, and handle them appropriately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a background in hazmat disposal and my thoughts on vaporizing sulfur indoors and not in a fume hood are simple. If you want to do it in your house, it looks ok from my house. Unless maybe I'm nearby and downwind. That's outdoor work. In which case nearby and downwind would definitely apply.
    Last edited by SubRosa; 12-16-2015 at 08:15 AM.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Nobody is suggesting that "real" fungicides are to be regarded as safer alternatives to "home remedy" style chemicals like Sulphur, but the fact is that when people (most of the intelligent people I know, anyways) understand that the chemical poses some handling and/or environmental risk, they will treat the material with the greatest respect because they know that mishandling it will have consequences, and so it is far less likely to be misused.

Even Hydrogen Peroxide makes it into the list of "hazardous chemicals", you know.

Will gaseous Sulphur work as a treatment for Powdery Mildew? Undoubtedly, yes. Is there any risk involved in generating and using vaporized Sulphur within the confines of ones home environment? Absolutely. It would be an error of judgement to think vaporized Sulphur posed no threat to the user, just as the mishandling of Propiconazole or most any other chemical engineered for gardening purposes would. Understand the materials you are using, and handle them appropriately.
    Although I am 15 I very clearly understand that any chemical can be dangerous if used incorrectly. Handling a toxic liquid fungicide will be much easier than handling a toxic vapor, so I will stick with the option that is safer and easier for me. Thanks for the information everyone.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    The ancient Greeks used sulfur (fire and brimstone) fumes to fumigate or purify objects and dwellings. There are a few references in Homer's Illiad and Odyssey.
    Reading the Odyssey in school right now. You should have said spoiler alert before telling me the suitors get killed :P I forgive you

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagalotus View Post
    Reading the Odyssey in school right now. You should have said spoiler alert before telling me the suitors get killed :P I forgive you
    Darn it, did you have to spread the spoiler?
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post

Hydrogen peroxide is nasty stuff! The common 3% solution for household use is innocuous enough, but a 30% solution burns skin instantly.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive had tried a few different products and found sulfer to be the best for cephalotus powdery mildew. Cures it with one application. Wouldn't suggest anything else.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcal View Post
    ive had tried a few different products and found sulfur to be the best for cephalotus powdery mildew. Cures it with one application. Wouldn't suggest anything else.
    Thanks for your input. I already bought the fungicide recommended by Whimgrinder, it still has to arrive. If it doesn't prove to be effective I will give sulfur a try.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12