User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can over-feeding a heliamphora cause the pitchers to develop brown spots?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little update

Here are some quick pictures I took of the pitcher progress, unfortunately they aren't too focused. Suprisingly, despite having taken the pitcures only a day ago, there has been visible growth progress. You can also see the largest leaf on one of my D. spiralis, which I feel like pointing out because I'm proud of it There would be a larger leaf on my other spiralis (not very visible in the pic), but I lopped it off in the name of leaf cuttings.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on size, I would feed those pitchers about 4 medium cichlid pellets each (monthly)
    remember, pellets take a while before you will see results, but keep it up and you will have a continuous, good growth rate with pitcher life.

Add only distilled water to the pitchers, you don't want to damage the bacterial soup with chlorine or chloramine.

just my humble opinion, ymmv
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 01-11-2016 at 07:19 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    Based on size, I would feed those pitchers about 4 medium cichlid pellets each (monthly)
    remember, pellets take a while before you will see results, but keep it up and you will have a continuous, good growth rate with pitcher life.

Add only distilled water to the pitchers, you don't want to damage the bacterial soup with chlorine or chloramine.

just my humble opinion, ymmv
    Thank you, I will make a regular feeding regiment, can I use pellets from my Maxsea instead? I just have so much excess maxsea, and I prefer to use the betta pellets for my sundews. How long does it take for the beneficial bacteria to show up? The smallest pitcher sometimes looses all of its water between waterings, as it truly does not hold much water (despite looking in similar size to the other pitchers).

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fist pellets break down over time with the help of bacteria.
    I'm not a chemist but I believe the pellets you find in Maxsea are designed to dissolved immediately into directly usable (non urea) chemical nutrients. They are meant to be diluted in comparatively large amounts of water.
    The symbiotic bacterial process is how Heliamphora are designed to work.

You can try them, but I would advise caution.

Av

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd advise against MaxSea in the pitchers themselves. You'll most likely spawn an algal bloom within the fluid, if not the media, as fluid drains from the leaves . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll avoid Maxsea then. I know that people use it on their Nepenthes with good results, although they have their own digestive enzymes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benurmanii View Post
    I'll avoid Maxsea then. I know that people use it on their Nepenthes with good results, although they have their own digestive enzymes.
    The use of MaxSea is even divided among some Nepenthes growers. Many swear by it; others, as I have, tend to get overrrun by algal blooms or slime mold within their composts, depending upon their individual growing conditions . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup. MaxSea = algae, in my experience. I discontinued using it two years ago.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast