User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can over-feeding a heliamphora cause the pitchers to develop brown spots?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can over-feeding a heliamphora cause the pitchers to develop brown spots?

I beleive I may have gotten overzealous when I got my Maxsea for Christmas and over-did it on my Heliamphora heterodoxa x minor. The pitcher I sprayed the most seems to be browning a lot (I also attempted to give it some ground up betta pellets in RO water, I know rookie mistake to give it so much food I'm used to South American drosera). I will try to get some pics up soon.

Note: The most browning is inside the pitcher right above where the water would drain, which is why (I hope) and I assume it is from over-feeding, and not a fungal infection.
    Last edited by Benurmanii; 12-30-2015 at 11:32 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've had gluttonous Sarracenia catch enough prey that they ended up browning. Some growers place mesh in pitchers in prime traps to prevent this. So I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that same to happen in this situation. As always, keep an eye on them, but unless you notice more brown spots on more pitchers you probably don't need to worry. If you like, you can always dilute things.

Keep us posted!
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've attempted to give my helis osmocote pellets but each time it has resulted in the top of the pitcher browning soon afterward. The pitchers still last a long time though and I can't tell if the fertilizer is actually helping the plant or not.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have the Maxsea diluted in a spray bottle (1/2 tsp per gallon dilution), although the pitcher that is browning got fed a lot compared to the other pitchers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Golden Rule of Horticulture is: if something you do results in damage to the plant, then abandon the practice.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    The Golden Rule of Horticulture is: if something you do results in damage to the plant, then abandon the practice.
    After doing a bit of reading, it seems that most people don't feed their Heliamphora (unless they are veterans of the craft). I guess I'll just let it sit there and be pretty.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm certainly going to let mine be. Both of them are finally growing new mature pitchers after 6 months of stagnant growth or rapid juvenile pitcher growth.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many Heliamphora need regular feedings or they wont grow well at all.
    Most species should grow like weeds if happy and well fed.

If pushing hard I recommend you don't feed all the pitchers at once.
    That way those that are fed may be damaged but the resultant growth spurt is well worth it.

As a general rule, regular monthly feedings with fish pellets (I prefer medium cichlid pellets) is all you need for good sustained growth.

hth's
    Av

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast