User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first Sarrancenia and i'm already doing something wrong!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg View Post
    That would be more informative if there was a location or winter minimum temperature in there
    Northern Connecticut. Temperature is fifty degrees right now, but it's usually a lot colder than Uppsala. Average low is 18 degrees, minimum has been -25 ever and is -10 usually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's quite the same as Uppsala Sweden! Winter is mostly around -5 to -10, but usually we get one to three weeks of chilly -25!
    And they do survive in that climate? I will have to think about planting it outside this summer!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by masonix View Post
    That's quite the same as Uppsala Sweden! Winter is mostly around -5 to -10, but usually we get one to three weeks of chilly -25!
    And they do survive in that climate? I will have to think about planting it outside this summer!
    They apparently survive that climate. Their native range is Connecticut up through the other northern states and a good chunk of Canada, but I haven't seen one personally. I'm just assuming they're around because others say so and because there's an annoying kind of moth that lays eggs in the pitchers and the caterpillars eat them. I personally have mine indoors because it shares a pot with some less hardy pitcher plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you guys using the same temperature scale?
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    Are you guys using the same temperature scale?
    No, but what he's saying is the Celsius converted version of what I'm saying. I've checked the weather in Uppsala and it isn't that much different, although -25C/-13F is pushing it for Sarrs.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sarracenia purpurea is the official flower of Newfoundland. They can certainly take the cold when in the ground, especially with a good layer of snow insulating them from the cold air. In pots you have to be much more careful. Your food cellar may be ideal for winter, and you can move the plant outdoors when the weather starts to warm up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been in our food seller know for a couple of days. Should I use 10 hour light or should I have less?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by masonix View Post
    It's been in our food seller know for a couple of days. Should I use 10 hour light or should I have less?
    I try to match the photoperiod for temperate plants grown indoors loosely with that of the outdoors. Around here, the shortest day of winter is about 10 hrs long, so that's what I winter temperate plants at. With spring coming I'll increase to 12 hrs in a couple weeks. By the time the longer days of summer have hit, they're outside. Then they come in to 12 hours in the fall, down to 10 for winter again, and so it goes.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12