Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heliamphora misting

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything about your conditions sounds fine to me. It does not look good though. How long have you had it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    about 5 months

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have any idea what's in that soil mix? I use 50:50 LFSerlite for mine. I don't know how they react to other common Nepenthes soil ingredients like orchid bark.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a hunch, but if you can, gently check out the root mass for rot- that takes a lot of 'mystery death' plants. With my one heliamphora, I've found really excellent drainage to be one of the most important things. I potted mine straight into a taller pot filled with orchid bark- left the original soil block intact and everything. My angle is to emulate the porous-rock underlayer situation I think my hybrid appreciates on tepuis.

So my tall pot is 'planted' in about 4 inches of live sphagnum, in a tray with less than an inch of standing water- the tray has a drainage hole, so the ultrasonic humidifier overhead is constantly cycling fresh water. Our tap is under 50 ppm so that's all I've ever used, had the plant since october. The tall pot also kinda lifts the heli up for the best light and air circulation, and it probably helps keep the roots cooler.

Dropbox - 2016-02-05 12.03.43.jpg

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I water my Heliamphora and all my Nepenthes with 50 ppm tap as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heliamphoras do not like to be wet all the time. Misting systems can be cool to watch, but IMHO they are totally useless, and they bring a lot of problems, including mold and other fungus Sp.

Insitu, helis are often wiped by intense rain storms, but the ventilation is also intense so they get dry very fast.

I think your plant struggle for this reason. I dont think your water type is the problem here. Just stop your misting system, provide a very humid setup with a slow but non-stop air flow, no standing water, a airy soil mix, good lighting and everything will be allright. Also, no need to drop the temp at night. If your day temp is around 21-22C, nights at 19-20C is good for most species/hybrids. However, colder nights will help with coloration of the pitchers

Hope that help !

Francois
    Last edited by Maiden; 03-25-2016 at 11:30 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
    Heliamphoras do not like to be wet all the time. Misting systems can be cool to watch, but IMHO they are totally useless, and they bring a lot of problems, including mold and other fungus Sp.

Insitu, helis are often wiped by intense rain storms, but the ventilation is also intense so they get dry very fast.

I think your plant struggle for this reason. I dont think your water type is the problem here. Just stop your misting system, provide a very humid setup with a slow but non-stop air flow, no standing water, a airy soil mix, good lighting and everything will be allright. Also, no need to drop the temp at night. If your day temp is around 21-22C, nights at 19-20C is good for most species/hybrids. However, colder nights will help with coloration of the pitchers

Hope that help !

Francois
    Would a misting system be fine just to raise the humidity when it gets too low? I finally got a fan working to get a bit of airflow into my terrarium but it will continuously drop the humidity until I turn it off. I got a fancy Mistking recently and I'd hate to see it go to waste.

Note: I got the Mistking because I read that the spray is really fine, so it wouldn't accumulate on plants in large drops. Also, my tank is huge, and my Heli is at the opposite end of where the mist would feed in.
    Last edited by Benurmanii; 03-25-2016 at 02:01 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good method is create a couple 1 cm holes, and put the lil fan outside the terrarium. Thats what i do. You can put your pots on reversed saucers, and add some water in the bottom of the terra. If your RH% drop, your holes are too big.

I know you have a new mist system and you like it. But the most important is the health of your baby hehe

Its just a suggestion, its up to you !
    Last edited by Maiden; 03-26-2016 at 12:12 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12