What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia getting dry and brown

Hi guys,

I've got a sarracenia for 4 month untill now. Many traps are getting brown and dry.
Could you please tell me if this is something normal in the spring? What should I do? Could you please take a look at the pics?

Sarracenia

Thank you very much ! :D

How much water is it getting? It could be too little water.

I'm watering them once every 2 days..
The soil it's constantly wet. I'm worried that I'm watering them too much.

What's the humidity like in your area? I know that nepenthes pitchers tend to dry up In low humidity, but I don't know if that's the case with Sarracenia.

Sarracenias are bog plants, they should be kept in standing water at all times. The plant looks healthy and I think it's just normal pitcher decay.
I'm watering them once every 2 days..
The soil it's constantly wet. I'm worried that I'm watering them too much.

Sarracenias are bog plants, they should be kept in standing water at all times. The plant looks healthy and I think it's just normal pitcher decay.
I know a couple of growers that don't grow them in trays at all
Watering once every two days could work just make sure to not let them dry out when summer comes

If the media is wet all the time, it's not heat. Especially with temperatures earlier in the year, you really shouldn't be seeing burning or drying up. I would think this would happen later in the year during the summer, but new growth shouldn't be drying up. what water do you use? are they outside? Check the roots, make sure theres no fungus, rot, or disease.

I realized the way I phrased that made it sound like that's the only way to grow them, the OP stated he was worried about over watering and I was trying to address that. Are there any pros to not keep them in standing water? It seems more demanding for a plant that can be just left in water.
I know a couple of growers that don't grow them in trays at all
Watering once every two days could work just make sure to not let them dry out when summer comes

I realized the way I phrased that made it sound like that's the only way to grow them, the OP stated he was worried about over watering and I was trying to address that. Are there any pros to not keep them in standing water? It seems more demanding for a plant that can be just left in water.
Supposedly it reduces the risk of rot by a large amount
I haven't been growing long enough to test that theory myself just yet

I grow my purpura in a tray and he's great.

What's the humidity like in your area? I know that nepenthes pitchers tend to dry up In low humidity, but I don't know if that's the case with Sarracenia.

I've found Sarr pitchers to remain unphased in -20% humidity. I wouldn't be surprised if they could withstand 0%!

I've found Sarr pitchers to remain unphased in -20% humidity. I wouldn't be surprised if they could withstand 0%!

Well, it was just a theory and I guess it was wrong.

They can withstand very low humidity; my plants can experience occasional days of less than 5% in summer around here....and I'm not seeing anything wrong with this plant, just old leaves starting to die back. They don't last forever after all.

No problem with a theory curtis! Just pointing out my observances. [MENTION=12104]curtisconners[/MENTION]

Last edited:
Looks perfectly normal to me. Older pitchers will die back after enough time has passed, especially during winter.

If the media is wet all the time, it's not heat. Especially with temperatures earlier in the year, you really shouldn't be seeing burning or drying up. I would think this would happen later in the year during the summer, but new growth shouldn't be drying up. what water do you use? are they outside? Check the roots, make sure theres no fungus, rot, or disease.

I'm using distiled water.. The plant it's growing indoor. This week I'm going to move it outside, on the balcony. :D
It's a small amount of flies over here on this part of the year. Should I try to feed it with something else? I read somewhere that white worms could be an alternative to flies. Is it true?

I'm using distiled water.. The plant it's growing indoor. This week I'm going to move it outside, on the balcony. :D
It's a small amount of flies over here on this part of the year. Should I try to feed it with something else? I read somewhere that white worms could be an alternative to flies. Is it true?
Don't worry about feeding it, it will catch what it needs :)

Have you recently put them outside or changed their growing conditions significantly?
If it is of any consequence I dont think that the browning you see is of any consequence, they are Purpurea hybrids of some sort so should be fine with standing water to about a quater of the pots depth.
Cheers
Steve

SORRY missed out on reading page 2 Doh!

Last edited:
I digress to it possibly being some kind of root rot. Wouldn't root rot go from the bottom up and not from the top down? That seems to make more sense to me.

All it seems to be is old pitcher die off, I don't know what the fuss is all about. On almost all plants old leave die and new ones grow, what's the surprise?

Back