Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is this?

Is this Sarracenia Purpurea ssp. Purpurea or Purpurea ssp. Venosa or Sarracenia Rosea? Any tips for this species of Sarracenia? Can I use osmocote for it?

As I am living in a tropical region, is it possible for me to let it undergo dormancy in the fridge?

Greetings from the netherworld. curtisconners's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like some kind of Purpura hybrid to me. Fridge dormancys do not work well in my experience. I can't tell you how many vft's I've lost to it. You might want to build a terrarium so that you could control the light cycle and lower the temperature to put it in dormancy. The compressor from a mini fridge might do the trick. I've never done that myself though. You could also get a small refrigerator with a glass door, which would allow the plant to photosynthesize. Which is usually the problem with vft's in a fridge.
    You MIGHT be able to add some osmocote to the pitchers but never the soil. I hope that helps.
    Last edited by curtisconners; 03-10-2016 at 04:24 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's of the purpurea complex, but without flowers it may be hard to make a certain ID. I'd lean toward venosa currently, perhaps even montana.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by curtisconners View Post
    It looks like some kind of Purpura hybrid to me. Fridge dormancys do not work well in my experience. I can't tell you how many vft's I've lost to it. You might want to build a terrarium so that you could control the light cycle and lower the temperature to put it in dormancy. The compressor from a mini fridge might do the trick. I've never done that myself though. You could also get a small refrigerator with a glass door, which would allow the plant to photosynthesize. Which is usually the problem with vft's in a fridge.
    You MIGHT be able to add some osmocote to the pitchers but never the soil. I hope that helps.
    Iím living in an apartment and the only way I can get 5 hours of sun is by hanging. So I doubt the mini method would work for me :/

Also, are Sarracenia Purpurea good in catching prey? I put my plant literally on an ant's nest and despite being swarmed, it only caught one or two ants.

Greetings from the netherworld. curtisconners's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're quite capable of catching their own prey, but it's not really needed in most CP's. I wouldn't let it get swarmed with ants, the ants might start eating your plant. As far as I know nepenthes are pretty good at catching ants.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ants tend to go only for plants either producing a lot of nectar, or specific species like S. minor. The purpurea complex is perfectly capable of catching its own food, but other organisms.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    Ants tend to go only for plants either producing a lot of nectar, or specific species like S. minor. The purpurea complex is perfectly capable of catching its own food, but other organisms.
    That makes sense now! I used to have a Sarracenia Flava and the amount of ants trapped was so much until it almost overflowed.

I guess I will have to get some live crickets then for my purpurea What is this?
    Last edited by TS 1989; 03-11-2016 at 09:47 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My S. purpurea and S. rosea have never caught nearly as many bugs as the upright species. They still grow well though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast