Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus leaf yellowing

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cephalotus leaf yellowing

Hi all,

I got this ceph about two and a half months ago. It lives outside in south Florida in part shade. Temps range from 45 to 90F, and lately no lower than the mid sixties. It gets two hours of sun in its current position. I was originally told that it was 'recently' (whatever that means) out of TC,so when I got it I was very careful to start it in full bright shade, and gradually increase the light, from there to about two hours of morning sun. About two weeks ago I moved it to a spot it where it got more like four hours. At first it seemed happy - started to red up, and growth seemed to increase. Then I noticed some leaves dying (see picture). I've since moved it back to two hours of sun, followed by bright shade, and I've changed my watering. I think it was too wet - I used the tray method with about a day in between sitting dry. It was in a large tray too, so that cycle took almost a week. Now it's in a smaller tray, and I don't fill it up all the way. It drys out in about two or days, then I let it sit empty for two days. So far it's responded well. The two leaves that yellowed died, but nothing else has changed.

This is my first ceph. Am I doing this right?
    Thanks I advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cephalotus is a very tolerant plant. I have plants that are kept wet ( sitting in water) in trays throughout the growing season. I have some I keep wet all year. It doesn't seem to bother them at all.
    I'd just remove the dead leaves and keep an eye out for any problems with others. No need to panic at this juncture though.

NB. My plants are in Greenhouses not Terraria.
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. As of this morning two more have turned from a dark to a lime green. Afraid yellow is next. Could this be normal seasonal prepping for summer (I'm in south Florida), first signs of crown rot, or something else? Or maybe I'm now keeping them too dry? Agh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greetings from the netherworld. curtisconners's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you ever top water? Has it rained recently and was it outside if it did? As far as I know, crown rot can only be caused by water in the crown. If there is no way that water got into the crown, then it could be root rot. You might want to check the roots. Take this with a grain of salt, though, I don't grow cephalotus and this is an educated guess based off what I've read.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ack - I didn't think about root rot. Just crown.

I tray water only, and the plant is under an awning and not exposed to rain.

When I started gardening I used to find myself here with plants in pots all the time - is it dying because of too much water or not enough?

I'm loath to disturb the roots - ceph's are reputedly very sensitive to that, and I only potted them up a couple of months ago.

Perhaps its just the changing seasons. None of the pitchers have been affected, and the growth point is still green. Would root rot affect all leaves, or oldest leaves first? Or maybe more complex leaf structures like pitchers? I'll do more research. Thanks for the idea!

Greetings from the netherworld. curtisconners's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's possible that it's losing its leaves because it's spring, I'll pull out my copy of the savage garden and see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's your medium? can't really see it from the photo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 hours does not seem like enough light to me. Usually when you get a new plant that was grown TC you'll want to bag it up for a few months gradually opening the bag up over time. But it is normal for it to loose a pitcher or leaf due to the transition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast