User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 12

Thread: Darlingtonia Farming?

  1. #1
    fredg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Mansfield UK
    Posts
    1,042
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Darlingtonia Farming?

    This is a sample of the Darlingtonia seedlings I have on the go at the moment. These are all a year old and can be clearly seen in a peat mix, not so obvious is that they are over / in a sphagnum lining. I have trays in full sun, part shade, full shade, in with solar pumps and without. The same applies to the seedlings I have growing in Sphagnum.
    So far there's not a great deal of difference except the ones in Sphagnum have to get taller a lot faster.. Those in peat stay compact.
    I do have a couple of trays where They were in Sphagnum and I've transferred them to peat. We'll see how those progress over the growing season.

    Fred

    Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

    http://fredg.boards.net/

  2. #2
    nimbulan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,355
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow that is a nice farm you have going. I'm very interested to see your results.

  3. #3
    Greetings from the netherworld. curtisconners's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Columbus Ohio, U.S.
    Posts
    923
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, those are a year old? Darlingtonia truly are slow growers.

  4. #4
    Lotsa blue bluemax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, Washington State
    Posts
    2,155
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those look great! What forms/locations do you have represented, Fred?

    I'm not completely sure about scale but I would guess that they have grown at about the same rate as Sarracenia seedlings. Does that sound right?
    - Mark

  5. #5
    nimbulan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,355
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you considered fertilizing some of them? I know some people have great results filling Sarracenia pitchers with Maxsea or orchid fertilizer solutions.

  6. #6
    I am a CPaholic... DJ57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Near Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,712
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trays filled with cuteness, very nice! How deep is the peat on top of the sphagnum? Do you have the trays sitting in water? Are you growing these outside or in a greenhouse? So many questions I have and interested in following your experience with different growing conditions.

    I am anxiously waiting for my seed to germinate. I have not grown Darlingtonia from seed for a number of years and kinda miss having babies around.

  7. #7
    fredg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Mansfield UK
    Posts
    1,042
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    Those look great! What forms/locations do you have represented, Fred?

    I'm not completely sure about scale but I would guess that they have grown at about the same rate as Sarracenia seedlings. Does that sound right?
    There are location plants from California and Oregon and of course my own seeds.

    There are reds, greens and mixes.

    They are a little slower than Sarracenia to begin with. Once they get to the stolon stage though, stand back

    Quote Originally Posted by nimbulan View Post
    Have you considered fertilizing some of them? I know some people have great results filling Sarracenia pitchers with Maxsea or orchid fertilizer solutions.
    I experimented with fertilising Sarracenia seedlings and Cephalotus thirty years ago. ( I still have a supply of hypodermic needles and syringes of all sizes. Acquiring some of those is a story on its own ) I soon stopped that as I could find far better things to do with my time and allowed the plants to grow naturally. I prefer the slower grown plants, I believe they are tougher. I did fertilise a Darlingtonia a couple of years ago as I'd foolishly damaged the emerging pitchers at the very start of the season. The plant was incapable of catching its own prey so yes I fed it. I simply added dilute fertiliser to the pitcher stumps.

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ57 View Post
    Trays filled with cuteness, very nice! How deep is the peat on top of the sphagnum? Do you have the trays sitting in water? Are you growing these outside or in a greenhouse? So many questions I have and interested in following your experience with different growing conditions.
    The peat is approx 1.5 - 2" deep (3.5-5cms) I also have some 5cm pond pots with individual plants in.

    All the trays and pots are sitting in water, some with solar water pumps

    Both in greenhouses and outside in grow tents ( front open and netted). Outside in the open is a definite no no. I don't want to be climbing up to bird's nests to see how the seedlings are progressing.
    Last edited by fredg; 03-29-2016 at 12:38 AM.
    Fred

    Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

    http://fredg.boards.net/

  8. #8
    I am a CPaholic... DJ57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Near Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,712
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg View Post
    The peat is approx 1.5 - 2" deep (3.5-5cms) I also have some 5cm pond pots with individual plants in.

    All the trays and pots are sitting in water, some with solar water pumps

    Both in greenhouses and outside in grow tents ( front open and netted). Outside in the open is a definite no no. I don't want to be climbing up to bird's nests to see how the seedlings are progressing.
    Thank you for the info. I want to try some in a net pot this year. For me here it is raccoons not birds that wreak havoc on Darlingtonia, they seem to be attracted to them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Starting a new hobby - Aphid Farming {Warning Aphid Porn Inside}
    By Lizardom in forum Miscellaneous Plants
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 01-23-2013, 07:23 PM
  2. 'all red' darlingtonia
    By kath in forum Pitcher Plants: (Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-05-2008, 09:55 PM
  3. Looking for Darlingtonia
    By Clint in forum Carnivorous Plant Trading Post
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-17-2007, 09:31 PM
  4. First Darlingtonia
    By Thrasher in forum Pitcher Plants: (Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-14-2007, 04:22 PM
  5. Darlingtonia
    By dewy in forum Pitcher Plants: (Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-26-2005, 06:19 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •