What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia bud comparison

As there are a few Darlingtonia in bud I thought I do a photo comparison of just a few of them to show the differences that when they are looked at singly may not be so apparent

26585823046_0dcd4a419a_o.jpg

Above.
On the left is "Venom" which has by far the largest buds. A very light pink tinge in parts.
Centre is Vulcan Lakes a red pitchered plant with the red continuing in the flower stem. The bracts are heavily flushed red as are the sepals.
Right is WR with the stem being red. A slight pink blush to the bracts

17387811542_3f653f9acc_o.jpg

Othello which of course is green on green.( FG archive)

19577432542_b8c6e28c8b_o.jpg

The 'Othello' open bud ( FG archive)

26546683741_25d2b65d10_o.jpg

My FG1983 clone( above) beginning to show the pink suffused bracts ( below).

17419300728_7ccaceef82_o.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice, indeed.
Is there also a concomitant of differences amongst the pitchers of those different varieties?

Fascinating amount of variability. Is "venom" a cultivar or am I not the only who names plants.

Wow I had no idea there was so much variation, and I am quite jealous of your collection. What do the pitchers on the "Venom" cultivar look like?

Also would you be interested in trading some pollen? I only have a single plant and would love to cross-pollinate it to obtain some more variable offspring than selfing would.

The answer to that Curtis is yes, although it is not a registered cultivar. The difference is "xxx" and 'xxx'
'Othello' is a registered cultivar.
"Venom" isn't registered.
Please do not make the mistake of assuming that a registered cultivar is better than a non-registered one. A good look at some of the plants that are registered should persuade you otherwise.

I shall never assume that registered cultivars are better and I never have. A cultivar's a cultivar, registered or not.

Good lad :bigthumpup:

It's dangerous not registering the cultivar however, as there is nothing stopping anyone else from using the same name and causing confusion otherwise; once registered, the name is protected and can't be duplicated within that genus.
The flowers are definitely great, that red one is beautiful even unopened, and 'Othello' is fantastic (wish I could find a source for that one).

Back